Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Preflop raising war ... don\'t like how I played it.

It pains me to post this play. But since I've never been in a preflop raising war before I'd like some expert advice.

So many players in this NL game will raise and reraise with AK or sometimes middle pairs.

Didn't have a read on this player. I'm thinking I should have been become cautious when he reraised the exact size of the pot (in blue below).

Can someone help me figure out how to balance getting the most into the pot without getting into trouble in a situation like this?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

GlemZurg ($9.90)
CO ($9.45)
Button ($14.35)
SB ($2.35)
BB ($9.65)
UTG ($14.15)
UTG+1 ($8.41)
MP1 ($20.20)
MP2 ($29.00)

Preflop: GlemZurg is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $0.7</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="red">GlemZurg raises to $1.8</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="blue">UTG raises to $3.7</font>, <font color="red">GlemZurg raises to $7.8</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $11.9</font>, GlemZurg calls $2.10.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Preflop raising war ... don\'t like how I played it.

Immediately go all in after he reraises.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:44 PM

I raise with AA/KK. If I get reraised I go all in.

That's it. By the time that second raise gets in there the pot is usually big enough that you are satisfied to win it outright. If you get called, AA is the only hand you're behind to. Good either way.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:40 AM

Why dont you like the way you played it? Im guessing he had aces and you thought you should have known that and laid it down? Hard to do.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:00 AM

I got into the reraising flurry and felt that I had been played.

Truthfully I would not feel right (as a newbie) laying KK down (in the case that someone reraised me preflop).

In the games I play I see people raise and reraise preflop with hands as low as TT or AQ. They just play too loose.

I think my real question was:

Is there someway my opponent played is a sure "tell" he had AA. As a new player I just didn't know.

Justin
Old 09-13-2004, 03:30 AM

You will find no sure "tell" that someone has AA preflop. It may seem like it at times but odds are they don't. I had this happen just yesterday and I was holding AA. I raised, got reraised, I pushed, he pushed, I took the pot. What did he have? Pocket 8s!! I'm agreeing with the others......if you get reraised while holding KK/AA, push!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:42 AM

This is the small stakes forum. Here we don't lay down cowboys preflop. Here we've seen so many people gambol with QQ, AK etc preflop that it is -EV to lay down KK. We all have to lose our stack with cowboys against rockets. It's part of our education [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you want to learn how to lay KK down preflop, go to the high stakes forum - we don't do that overhere [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2004, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone. I will go forth and take my lumps when I get them and give more lumps then I get. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Justin
Old 09-13-2004, 05:50 AM

fo shizzle.
no way you should ever lay down KK preflop to an unknown. if you have copious notes that he's a solid player, always with a big stack and plays like a rock, then maybe. you gotta know the guy's moves, blood type and great aunt's middle name before you think about laying down the 2nd nuts preflop.

fim
Old 09-13-2004, 11:56 AM

its pretty much never correct to get into a preflop raising war. push when he reraies you when you have AA or KK. never fold KK in this game preflop