Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: First NL hand ever. Lost my stack. HELP!!!

At these limits, players are at least as likely to have trash as AA when they call these kinds of raises.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:17 AM

So wouldn't you exercise some caution knowing this? I'm not saying don't bet....but <50% of my stack after folks called my raise seems steep to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:58 AM

He can't give a free card on the flop because an A or K might pair up. Let's say he bets half the pot on the flop: 25. Then, even if he check-calls the turn and river, all the money is going in anyway. That's true unless you're ready to lay down on one of the later streets. I don't see how anyone could do that without a big read.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 PM

stacks are so short that you are going to lose your stack here. BUT, in general overbetting like this with one pair on a paired board isn't the greatest idea. most low no-limit games feature players that are way too loose before the flop, but generally are not complete idiots postflop.

after he calls your flop bet, you have to ask yourself what he is calling you with? probably not a 3, a 6 is a possibility or a lower pocket pair. he might call you with a lower pocket pair but keep in mind you have represented a big pocket pair the whole time. when you play your hand in such a way that your opponents know what you have, you allow them to play somewhat optimally. most noncluless opponents are not going to put a lot of money in after the flop unless they can beat what they put you on, which in your case is a big pair.

so I think after betting the flop you need to check the turn and try to get to a showdown without committing a lot more money. may not be possible to do, but I think that's the better line to take.
--turnipmonster