Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Party $100 6-max idiot straight draw

[ QUOTE ]
What about a mid PP. He could easily have that. Villain limped in on the deal (mid PP scenario) and then bet big when he hit his set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think he is so strong? He bet a little more than 1/2 pot on the flop, and he bet 1/4 pot on the turn.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:51 AM

basically why I posted this hand
Old 08-09-2004, 07:12 AM

Seeing all the checks and not much action, I'm thinking he wanted to try and get something out of it if he had the set. Of course $7 is a strong bet if you think everyone will fold but he still had folks behind him. If someone bet ahead of him, I bet he would have raised. I'm stuck on thinking he had a set.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:34 AM

while i think you should have folded after the flop bet, you hit the perfect card to stay in on after you saw the turn. At this point, unless a 9 or a 10 flops, I don't think you are getting out of this hand (considering you didn't put him on a flush draw). You do need to bet the turn however, because my guess is that he either has trips or is trying to draw to a higher straight. Trips being more likely, I would raise because unless he is a very strong player, he is going to have a tough time laying down his cards here. Regardless of what his hand is, you don't want to let him see the river for cheap. If he is going to put you on a hand if you raise the turn it'll probably be the straight but he still has outs to draw to his higher straight or outs to hit the boat if he has trips. My guess is that he will call a reasonable turn bet if he has more than TPTK and once the river comes as a blank I think you need to bet a little bit less (1/2 pot considering you raised it on the turn). You hit your hand pretty well and the only thing that could second best you is 9-10. If he doesn't have that, he will probably pay you off and my guess is that he had trips and he did pay you off...but i think you could have played the hand better.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:52 AM

i agree that you should fold the flop. if a 9 hits, the only way you're going to get action is if the other guy holds the T for the higher straight. i'd fold even if the board were rainbow.

on the turn, leading and check-raising are both viable options. check-calling is not. a 9, T, 5, or 6 will kill your action (or beat you), as will a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a card that pairs the board. you want to raise to get more money in the pot while you have the near-nuts and give him an opportunity to make an ill-advised raise. between check-raising and betting, i like betting more, as you really don't want to give a free card. you can hope that he'll raise with AJ or 77 or something.

the river bet is interesting. i rarely wind up making this kind of play, but i'll keep it in mind.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Default results

Well, this was an unusual hand. I agree that the flop is an easy fold, but I don't think it's a horrible call, either. I'm glad most of you mentioned it as an aside, because I don't think it's what's interesting about the hand.

I don't like checkraising the turn here because it shows incredible strength. I might fold AJ against a turn checkraise on this board. I didn't read him for as much strength as some of you did, so I decided to play it like a flush draw and hope I "missed". I do like leading the turn because then AJ might even raise, and set would almost surely raise, and I could have gotten it all-in then. My goal was to get my opponent to call a large river bet with a relatively weak hand should the river blank.

My opponent called quickly with 77.