Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: DN, Im sorry

[ QUOTE ]
I'm so embarrassed for you right now. You must come from FCP where without a (sw) you never know someone's making a joke. I'm cringing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of this response? OK, if he's being sarcastic, fine -- clearly I missed it, big deal. He went a little out his way, though, to make his point. I'm not at all defending DN, however. What the hell is your problem?

With that said... DN misplayed his flopped straight by doing virtually nothing to protect his hand, especially on the turn when there was a good chance of being outdrawn. However, it's very amusing to read all of the posts of people claiming that this was an easy laydown. Even with the board paired and the possible flush on the river, this is a powerhouse hand with two cards in the hole making the high end of a straight. It's shocking that more people aren't acknowledging this. I could certainly get off of this hand if the bet to me were hefty or I had a particular read on my opponent, but a good percentage of the time I, and any half-decent player, am probably paying this off. This was a very conversative play for DN, and most likely the result of his tremendous desire to stay alive and do well in the ME following a poor overall WSOP, as opposed to last year when his amazing run left him with little to prove by the end, and no real concern for busting out.

Because we can see the hole cards, many of us here have no ability to disentangle our ex-post knowledge from our ex-ante theorizing, and thus come across as haughty know-it-alls. It's pretty sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even realize that the long joke response that you misread as sincere is making your point. The point of my post was to call you out on misunderstanding blatant sarcasm.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just amazed (and amused) that you are influenced so much by TV.

Those hands for the most part played themselves.

If I'm running bad then I don't necessarily play a KJs in middle. Nor am I defending my biggie with an A3s. If I'm running bad I'm waiting for my best of hands and let them try to take a shot at me.

It's better not to talk about running bad or else people will be inspired to beat up on you. I saw a little of this on TV.

As far as folding the straight goes... Well that's not so hard. The river is two kinds of death. I'd only call here if I hated myself and my chips.

You sound like a pedestrian. I doubt Daniel Negreanu cared much that you trashed him. He's far too good for that.

He knows he has to play his A game the whole time. Not just some of the time, which is what I saw on TV.

pokerponcho

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, what the fck is the point of this post? I was merely recanting my prior statement.

now hold on... you're saying Im too impressed by what I saw on tv, and then you said that he is so far above me.

A) who sounds like a lapdog now?
B) have you ever seen me play a game?
C) am I really this much of an [censored] magnet?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 PM

You're right, there was little point to my post.

I just know that ESPN favors showing silly stories like these. Can't tell anything from TV was my point.

Doesn't matter how well you play the game if you aren't in the right place at the right time.

The straight fold is really not that great of a fold though. It's a cry me call. Please, don't have the full-house or flush one time!!

Anyways, you can't tell who's good or not by what they've won and lost recently anymore than you could tell from a stock chart where a stock is going.

All I really know about the top players is from anecdotes and TV bits. I'm not going to pretend that I know who is really "the best".

pokerponcho
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM

I think he was mocking the person who originally said that, because its impossible to have a flush and a pair on the board.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Utterly unbelievable laydowns, amazing calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding a straight against a player on a paired board with a flush out there! BRILLIANT!

Folding bottom pair of 3s with top kicker. Jesus, this guy's amazing.

Don't even get me started on folding AK unimproved on a monotone board of unders, I think I'll run out of hyperbole.

The first one is the only fold that was somewhat impressive, and even that is not that tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I don't see any of the so called talent involved here either. Didn't see the first hand yet, seems rudimentary.

Second hand was calling Farha for all of his chips with bottom pair, top kicker?? who gives a rats ass, easy fold.

Third hand didn't seem hard either, I smell pocket pair or set. Even someone aggressive as Negreanu will try to last a bit in the main event when he was expected to do so well in the events this year and didn't do squat.

Frankly from what I saw of the episode I couldn't stand all the "Negreanu can't get a break" b.s.

Furthermore anyone who contemplates most of these calls are people I love to see at my tables. Hahahahaha
Old 10-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Ok, the times DN had a hand, he got drawn out on (Farha's flush, Firefighters 5 outer) Both times he lost the minimum.

the times DN had a draw, nothing came through, and he lost the mimimum.

There was nothing amazing (like his bluff on deeb's AK @ the WPT) but he played very solid, and unless they just didnt show his brain fart hands, his WSOP performance really was just bad cards, not him being off his game.

Thta's all people were trying to say, he didnt do anything brilliant, but he played very solid.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey buddy, whats your f'ing problem. I would really like to see you play in the fing wsop, and make those laydowns.

second of all, if you just want to be the typical two plus two elitist [censored], then take your little nit ass outta the thread.

didnt your mom ever say if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, your mom didn't say it either.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey buddy, whats your f'ing problem. I would really like to see you play in the fing wsop, and make those laydowns.

second of all, if you just want to be the typical two plus two elitist [censored], then take your little nit ass outta the thread.

didnt your mom ever say if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, your mom didn't say it either.

[/ QUOTE ]lol
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 PM

when the blinds are 25 - 50 or 50 -100 the preflop decisions are not so important. no biggie to see a flop with marginal hands especially if you have a read on an opponent or they make a mistake. the 50 or 100 wont effect your stack.
the interesting thing about negranu's play i thought was he seems to play completely post flop. i.e. he did not have that many chips but he did not reraise all in with his AK.
so i dont think he is overly focused on preflop decisions early in tourneys.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM

So let me get this straight, I start a thread to say that DN isn't as donkish as I thought he was, given the threads in the past month or so disparaging his play. No, I don't think he is the best (btw, there is no real best IMO, alot of people play at the same level, then variance comes in). I just wanted to say that I for one, was impressed at the level of play I witnessed.

Then I get called a sycophant, a pedestrian (the person who posts this is either trying to make slang, or has no idea what he's talking about... maybe he's describing my post as pedestrian?) and basically bashed for saying this guy is playing well.

Anyways, its kinda silly, I really am starting to think that in an OT post like this, if you wanna just dissent and insult, do it somewhere else.

So to recap.... DN's not a fish.. but I apparently am.

That is all.