Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Default What hands to reraise with...

I started a small analysis often when you play shorthanded you're not sure wheater to reraise or fold when youre out of the blinds. If you use pokerace or gametime you know about how many % the player would raise in that position. Heres some result from my pokerstove analysis:

Reraise if the raiser has higher % then the right column:

KQs - 17%
KQs - 24%
AT - 19%
ATs - 16%

Hope you anderstand. Does anyone know if something like this has been done with more hands?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: What hands to reraise with...

I suppose what you are saying is when you are statistically ahead of his range you should reraise. However it gets a lot more more complicated - he might cap only with the best hands, there is extra value in getting initiative, folding the blinds etc. Also it is hard to know a players exact pfr% by position, you would need many many datamined hands and even then it might not be possible to know since he could be adapting to table conditions etc.
Still its an interesting experiment, I might just try something like that myself tonight...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM

I don't know, but I think this type of analysis is excellent. When we talk about the ranges of hands we would 3-bet in the blind against an UTG raise compared to a Button raise, what we really mean is against an opponent whose range of raising hands from the position he raised in is X% versus Y%. For instance our 3-betting criteria might be identical for an aggressive player's UTG raise and a passive player's Button raise.

Cartman
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM

I know theres a lopt of more factors... but you have position wich sure helps a LOT. This isen't exact but gives a good idea...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 AM

The problem is that you will have to plug in position and percentages, ie if he raises 20% pf then you can reraise with KJ if he is in the co and you are on the button but not if he is UTG and you are UTG+1 but if he raises 25% then bla bla... /v
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Here are the issues:

1. Hot and Cold equity isn't everything

It's only an accurate representation of what will happen when there is no further betting. Post-flop play strength/weakness, positional advantage, and blind overlay all matter. In King Yao's book, when 3 betting in position, he wants only >= 40% equity against the raisers' range because of positional advantage and overlay from the blinds.

2. 17% hand range may not be the same range across different players

Two players raise 17% of their hands when folded to in the cutoff, but their ranges can be vastly different. One might prefer suited connectors, the other might prefer cards with high card value.

3. You can't the HUD's overall PFR value to figure out their raising range

This is because you have additional information: Preflop actions and their position. OK, so this player's PFR is 14%. It's folded to him in the cutoff. He raises. His range is > 14%. He raises UTG. His range is < 14%. Everyone limps to him in the cutoff and he raises. This range is different from the other two.

This is useful analysis, but you have to be careful about applying it indiscriminately.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In King Yao's book, when 3 betting in position, he wants only >= 40% equity against the raisers' range because of positional advantage and overlay from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right I guess. And I really need to get my act together and finally read that book next to my bed...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Can you tell more about this book sounds intresting. Is it just about limit poker?