Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Default $100k in \'05 (brag and commentary)

Let me preface the post by saying I'm not sure it's a good idea. And I hope it doesn't clog the boards with other "I won a lot" posts. And I recognize that there are other posters who are considerably better than I am and who win considerably more.

That said, last week I hit my 2005 goal of $100k (in about 125,000 hands). Yay me.

My story's not much different from many others' around here. I started playing 2 1/2 years ago with $500 at $2/$4. This year, I've played 30/60, 15/30, and 10/20 6-max; all 4-tabling. I also played in the $2000 limit HE event at the WSOP -- I've posted about getting schooled by David Pham earlier, but school is for learning and those 4+ hours of play have really helped my game in a bunch of ways. I would play more but I have a job that can be very demanding and a 13 month old son, and I have a rule that I never play when I'm at home and he's awake. So I figure I've logged about 450-500 hours, which translates to $200+/hr.

Here are a few of the key stats, although some may be a little off since I only started using PT in February and I have played some 15/30 and 10/20 6max on my work computer, which doesn't have PT (I've tracked # of hands and winrate reasonably well, but not the other stats, obviously):

30/60: 1.7BB/100; 21/12/1.9 (30,000 hands)
15/30: 2.9BB/100; 23/12/2.1 (55,000 hands)
10/20 (6 max): 3.3BB/100; 30/20/2.2 (40,000 hands)

I also wanted to say a few things that I think may actually contribute substantively to the boards -- rather than me just patting myself on the back. I'm cross-posting this in mid-, high-stakes and heads-up & short-handed, so some of the comments might not be as relevant to one as the other, but here goes:

First, the quality of the strategy posts lately has been really top notch. As good or better as any time since I became a "member" 2+ years ago. Most of my understanding of the game comes from the excellent discussions here. So thanks to all of you and to David and Mason and 2+2. No, none of you gets a cut.

But, I think many posters are still sometimes too dismissive of contrary views. 2+2 dogma isn't always right; the fact it has evolved over time is proof of that. Contrary views are therefore critical not only because they're sometimes right, but because even if they aren't, we can often learn from the discussions they trigger. Plus, oftentimes the people who make the absolute statements aren't nearly as right as they think they are. In the last few months I've been definitively told a dozen times that if I play the way I suggest "I'll get run over." They seem to be wrong. But my point is that we can't learn from contrary views unless we take them seriously and address them respectfully, with a thoughtful explanation. The mid-high forum is much better about this than it was a year ago, but I still see the one-liner "this is wrong" stuff sometimes. This is much more common in the HU/SH forum and the posters who do it often don't have things quite right, IMHO. Plus there are many posters there who get pissed if you so much as suggest that they might've played a hand differently. Not particularly conducive to learning or improving, but I get the sense that that's not the reason some of the posters in HU/SH post.

In the same vein, I think we should all recognize that there isn't always one single right play for every situation or for every player. For example, I think that I have certain skills (selective aggression, hand reading, general post-flop play, etc.) that allow me profitably to play more hands in the 10/20 6max game than many think is optimal. My particular strengths (and weaknesses) may suggest a different approach to particular hands than would be optimal for a player with different abilities. My point is that we should keep in mind that sometimes there are intangibles -- or even tangibles -- that may impact our thinking about how to play hands and that not every situation has a one-size fits all answer. Though most probably do.

Finally, I think people often don't take into consideration many factors that are critical to proper analysis of a hand. Many posts don't include reads of the "villains," and those that do often include only the now standard VPIP/PF raise/post-flop aggro stats. But for most hands that are at all interesting the right play will be a function of the tendencies of our villains (as well as what villain thinks our tendencies are). There's rarely discussion of important stats like WSD, or c/r, or blind steal, or blind fold to steal. So I encourage everyone to think about how those stats change the analysis, and to include more of them in their posts.

That's about it. Now back to the real stuff.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: $100k in \'05 (brag and commentary)

Congratulations, that's terrific. About how many tables and hrs./wk did you play? Nice win rates, the 10/20 is particularly impressive, sample size caveats notwithstanding.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM

good post, and congratulations on reaching your goal!

And if you really are thankful for 2+2 and all us posters, your winning ass should contribute by posting more, instead of just lurking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (oh, and do it in here, not mid-high [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

seriously tho, nice job
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM

Congrats man. I've played with (against) you some, but nowadays choose other tables... /v
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Congratulations!!
And I am also looking forward to future strategy-related posts by you...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that I have certain skills (selective aggression, hand reading, general post-flop play, etc.) that allow me profitably to play more hands in the 10/20 6max game than many think is optimal. My particular strengths (and weaknesses) may suggest a different approach to particular hands than would be optimal for a player with different abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do u think your winrate would change if u played for example 25% instead of 30%?

I have always had a hard time thinking it is those last 5% that is the difference between, lets say, 2BB/100 and 3BB/100. Then we should only make 2BB/100 with our first 25% and 1BB/100 with worst and pretty marginal hands.

What strenghth/weaknesses are u thinking off that makes u change your game?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:42 AM

First, congrats. That's a seriously impressive milestone, especially with a real job! If you don't mind me asking, how many hours/week do you work and what line of work are you in?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's rarely discussion of important stats like WSD, or c/r, or blind steal, or blind fold to steal. So I encourage everyone to think about how those stats change the analysis, and to include more of them in their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true from what I have seen...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Congrats Hock,

I look forward to hearing strategy-related posts in the future, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 09-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Congrats on reaching your goal and good post.