Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Capping the flop with the nut flush draw? (boring)

Capping makes sense when you've got more than one opponent. Period. The more involved, the more sense it makes.

Reads mean nothing, since you're seeing the river no matter.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:12 PM

If you've seen UTG limp-RR before, this is prefect. You're Aces and Kings are good enough to give you the equity need to cap this flop. I'd play it the same.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you not see that UTG limp/reraised us here? I am not comfortable with my ace or king outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither am I. I believe the clubs are your only outs.

[ QUOTE ]
Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are right on, unless he also has clubs.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why reads are soooo important to playing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
With the players playing this bad, I believe "reads" go out the window as being worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
With no reads I think capping is a clear mistake, with these in mind though, it's not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he has a read. The player who open-limped UTG and then re-raised. If he doesn't have AA, then it's AK
Old 09-03-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post with reads? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The only time he showed down a limp/re-raise he had AJo.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reads would be helpful from OP. (ie. is BB a total donk or could he be sitting on a set here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Read on UTG

UTG joined the table after I sat down. He bought in short at 132.50 (telling me it's his whole account balance). He posted BB as the CO on his first hand. He did show down a limp re-raise once and showed J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Though he check-called when he missed the flop. His VPIP was 64%.

Read on BB

BB a donk. He had a stat of 54% VPIP. He started the hand shortstacked with $61.19 that seemed to be all he had. Here is a good example of his donkish-ness. He is the <font color="red">small blind</font> in this hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $4.
UTG (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.

River: (2.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Results below:
SB has 6c 9h (one pair, jacks). <font color="red"> Why did he call the river with nine high?</font>
Button has Ah 6s (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Button wins 4.16 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im curious why you didn't bet the turn here.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Default the \"other hand\"

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 2BB pot, it's not profitable to bet 1BB here. If anyone had a 7 or a J, they weren't likely to bet them on the flop, but they may call or raise here.

Thinking players might bluff-raise forcing me to fold and I don't even have position to take a free showdown. Let's say someone with AJ calls. I check the river and he bets. Then what?

I probably would have called the river had the SB not called.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about pre-flop the cap is good because often the limp reraise is with suited connectors or trash, and there are other players involved who likely have trash that we are thrashing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you said in your post except this. I find it hard to believe (as I can't remember seeing, first hand, a player re-raise EP with suited connectors preflop, much less trash.)that UTG re-raised preflop with KQs against only two opponents. Unless, the players are so bad, he figures they either have Ax, with x being less than a Q, or he has two overcards to whatever they have.
Isn't he just reducing his implied odds by re-raising preflop? Now, Hero just recently arrived at the game, so it could be that he considers him as nothing but another fish.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe, that in situations like this, you make more money ck/calling with weak hands like this, then getting out of line. It accomplishes a lot more, even if you don't win the hand. I would have called the river for the purpose of declaring what I called the river with, not with the expectation of winning.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post with reads? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The only time he showed down a limp/re-raise he had AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not read that post before replying. You were in a very juicy game. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]