Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Playing against friends

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while now, and after last night I finally decided to post.
I play at least twice a week with my best friends. Pretty small stakes (usually $5-$10 buy in), but the game is very loose and the pot usually gets close to $100 for 5 or 6. The same group of 5-6 people play every single time. All of them play for fun, and have the mentality that poker is a game of pure luck. On the other hand, I take poker seriously. I play a lot online, at other live games, and frequently read new books to try to improve my game. We have been playing for about a year now, and the end results have been basically the same. I've won every time we've played except for twice, one of them being last night. I'm not particularly proud of winning so much against them, as none of them take the game seriously at all. However, last night something different happened that is making me reevaluate my stance on playing with them.
We'd been playing for about 2 hours and I was down around $1. I really hadn't been catching any cards and I looked down at A7s in the BB. My buddy was down to less than $1, and he was the only other person in. Knowing how loose he plays (he admits he'll play anything suited or connecting) I put him all in. He instantly called with 54o. Needless to say he catches not only a 5, but a 4 as well. It didn't bother me that he made that call, because that is exactly the type of hand I want somebody to call an all in with when I have A7s. Of course I had to listen to him talk about "how well he played his 54o." I brushed it off and didn't make a big deal out of it because this guy never wins, so in a way I was happy for him. An hour later I'm still at $4. With people buying in multiple times, the average stack is about $10-12. I'm the shortstack by a long ways, even though I'm the only person who didn't buy in again. I get TT on the button and move all in. To my surprise both blinds call me. At first I didn't like it, but when they flipped over their cards I was happy. KJo and QJo, and it looked fairly good that I'd triple up. Along with the theme of last night, a Q comes on the river. Again, I'm not that pissed because frankly I want KJo and QJo calling me when I have TT. There are only 8 outs they can catch when they both call me. I'll take that situation any day. I buy back in, which was probably a mistake. For an hour straight, I hear about how well both of them played their cards against me, and how they deserved to win. It finally struck me, they were rooting for me to lose. They were chriping nonstop about how good they were playing, asking me why I wasn't winning and where my skill was now, even going so far as to take a picture of one of their chipstacks. It got bad enough that I eventually got up and left my chips on the table, and left. Away from the table these guys are my best friends. But at the table, I can't stand them. Its to the point where I think I might not play with them anymore. I don't want poker to ruin our friendship. Ultimately, I think that it won't work, being a serious poker player and playing against friends who do it for fun. Have you guys ever encountered the same situation? What did you do? Thanks for hearing me out on my first rant.