Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 AM

Default how do u guys deal with tilting?

Hi. Some advice on what to do to stay calm.I notice after taking a bad beat, I play like shi3t. I know i should just shut off the games but i keep saying that and i never do. So what are some things you. i know bitching at the bad players doesnt help. advice on this hand. should i just of check the river?

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP calls.

River: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB
*** SHOW DOWN ***
OUTLINER - Show cards [2d,3h]
Hero - Lost mucks
*** RESULT ***
Total Pot($56) Rake ($2.75)
Board [5s,6d,9h,2s,4s]
OUTLINER - Total ($53.25) HI$53.25)Straight, two to six
Old 04-11-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: how do u guys deal with tilting?

I play the next hand.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:27 AM

Where is the tilting hand?

Tilting doesn't mean being upset. It means knowingly playing a hand wrong due to emotive frustration.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:30 AM

No I said that I will usually go on a big losing streak due to tilting. i know its easy for some to just play the next hand, but some people cant handle it.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No I said that I will usually go on a big losing streak due to tilting. i know its easy for some to just play the next hand, but some people cant handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then show an example of a hand that you played poorly because you were upset. You played this one fine (except for maybe the preflop raise, but that is arguable by some on here.) And you can have huge losing streaks without ever tilting.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:36 AM

As to the hand posted: the pf raise is bad here, because you can't limit the field enough to make your sixes viable without the set, and you generally need at least 5 callers to make the set draw be a +EV play (ie: you don't want to raise and potentially drive out the callers that are giving YOU the proper odds to draw to your set). Also, if you're determined to see the showdown after that river card, I'd've definitely check-called rather than betting out, since the only call you'll likely get will be from a hand that beats you (and that "call" will, as here, probably be a "raise" instead).

That being said, I just posted some advice on your "tilt" question to another thread, so that may be of some help on the tilt-issue (I hope). Alan Schoonmaker's articles (see "authors" section at cardplayer.com) are also excellent resources on psychological questions like this. He has a great series on "tilt" there that I'd highly recommend.

q/q
Old 04-11-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As to the hand posted: the pf raise is bad here, because you can't limit the field enough to make your sixes viable without the set, and you generally need at least 5 callers to make the set draw be a +EV play

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you all a bunch off pussies? 66 is clear raise here. You have a good hand, maybe the best, and you've got the position. You don't have to hit a set everytime to win this.. If MP really limps 23o, 66 is an easy raise. Hero lost this time. So what? He just got unlucky.

Betting the river is fine IMO. Lotsa fishies call with any pair and raise with two pair.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:04 AM

The best way to deal with tilt is to be prepared for bad beats and such to happen. You just need the proper mindset. When you sit down to begin playing for the day KNOW the following:
1) It's all one big game, each hand and session is a drop in the bucket
2) Luck is part of the game, but you're going to play and learn from every hand the best you can
3) Bad beats/suckouts are good, they come from the same people who don't hit that draw the other 9 out of 10 times and are paying you off
4) You will not win every hand. Even the best players in the world have bad days, they get sucked out on too
5) Do not be too proud to realize you've been outplayed. You're not the best in the world... yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Other things that you can avoid that can contribute to tilt:
1) Playing beyond your bankroll.
2) Having too much on your mind. Not in the right "mood" to play.

I'm sure there's more that you can tell youreslf but I believe you get the idea. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If there's anything of note here I missed; somebody help me out and post it.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 PM

How to deal with tilting?

Stick a shim under one leg.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Except for the very poor preflop call your opponent played his hand very well IMO.