Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Things you remind yourself of while you play

I always have a few notes to myself up during my sessions online. So far, I have:

"Don't build pots OOP" and "Listen to the stats" (basically don't bluff loose players, etc.)

Do you guys do this? What other notes would you suggest?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Things you remind yourself of while you play

"Never bluff". My new PT DB is called 'New Leaf'. I am never bluffing now that I have turned my new leaf. (Of course I am still bluffing, but way way way WAY less than I used to. And I am crushing the games. I've never won so much in my life as I have since I have really REALLY cut down on bluffing.)
Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Never bluff". My new PT DB is called 'New Leaf'. I am never bluffing now that I have turned my new leaf. (Of course I am still bluffing, but way way way WAY less than I used to. And I am crushing the games. I've never won so much in my life as I have since I have really REALLY cut down on bluffing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this, especially where I play: NL25.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM

I love a post-it which reminds me of crucial meta-game concepts.

"The object of the game is to play each hand to the best of your ability"

"The object of the game is to fold (insert hands) in early position/to a raise, etc."

You can pretty much insert anything you want to incorporate or correct in your game, or things you just need to keep fresh in mind while playing.

These can be a very effective anti-tilt tool, too.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:37 PM

Nice topic.

In marginal situations, I tell myself "pick a better spot than this." Also "donkeys can have pocket aces too." Very important to remember that even terrible players get dealt top-tier hands once in a while.
Fold to bets made by PokerTracker mice and rocks (tight passives.)
Or maybe, "would my girlfriend (who plays) yell at me for playing this?"
Old 10-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Let me add... Big highs come from low (no ?) expectations.

Poker being what it is (a game of variance), having hard-set expectations for a specific session/table/hand/whatever period will most often lead to mild satisfaction (meeting the expectactions) or cruel disappointment.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM

You could think up dozens of these. I like "Listen to the stats".....I dont like "Dont build pots OOP". If my hand warrants it, I'm building the pot OOP.

I used to say to myself "Don't get too fancy OOP". But that was more for my limit game.

All of my old ones I used for so long they've become sort of ingrained in my head and I no longer have to consciously think about them in play. But here's what they were:

Is this the right play?

What hands could he have?

Can I knock him off a better hand?

Is this pot worth the risk?

A good one John Juanda said in one of the FTP advice things they have is "Don't play a big pot without a big hand." I never really used it, but good advice.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Listen to the stats"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this one. Some things I'm meh about. But this one I think is bad. I think that 2p2ers tend to rely far too much on stats. It becomes a crutch. You'd be far better served by evaluating your opponent by looking at his mucked cards than his stats. If you are so focused on stats that you actively remind yourself to evaluate them at the table, then I think you should uninstall PokerAce untill you can play without them at all.

My two cents, and I know it's controversial. For the sake of trivia, my avatar is what it is becasue I am often emploring posters to drop the Kool-Aid. IMO, opponent stats can be among the most poisoned Kool-Aid of all.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Listen to the stats"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this one. Some things I'm meh about. But this one I think is bad. I think that 2p2ers tend to rely far too much on stats. It becomes a crutch. You'd be far better served by evaluating your opponent by looking at his mucked cards than his stats. If you are so focused on stats that you actively remind yourself to evaluate them at the table, then I think you should uninstall PokerAce untill you can play without them at all.

My two cents, and I know it's controversial. For the sake of trivia, my avatar is what it is becasue I am often emploring posters to drop the Kool-Aid. IMO, opponent stats can be among the most poisoned Kool-Aid of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ceteris Paribus, stats can be very useful. You are correct in that it is no substitute for real reads.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:55 PM

When vacillating over a decision I remind myself that a new hand will be starting in about 2.5 seconds. Then I usually fold.

Another one is "Don't be afraid to fold." Of course, I realize this is only a problem for us macho types [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]