Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 PM

Default 88 slowplayed after boated, wrong move?

I realize the preflop reraise call might have been out of line, but I could put him on two cards that were high up, and he was an aggressive player who threw money around.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($4.50)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button ($43.05)</font>
SB ($24.75)
BB ($84.69)
UTG ($25.25)
UTG+1 ($4.50)
UTG+2 ($54.45)
MP1 ($21.60)
MP2 ($27.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $2.25.

Flop: ($6.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($18.60) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

River: ($26.60) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $12 (All-In), Button calls $12.

Final Pot: $50.60

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8c 8h (full house, kings full of eights).
Button has Ah Ad (full house, kings full of aces).
Outcome: Button wins $50.60. </font>

I let him bet due to the reraise prf, and then once I filled up, I figured that I would c/c the turn and then go all-in on the river. On the river, was a fold the right call? Based on his betting, I thought he might be on a flush draw. Also, is slowplaying the right move here?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: 88 slowplayed after boated, wrong move?

First of all DON'T MINIRAISE PREFLOP. God how I hate it when people mini-raise small pocket pairs.

Second, Raise the flop. Raise the turn, and don't push the river. In this hand you should be all in on the turn. There's no reason not to be. Don't be too tricky. If he had a King or AA he's paying you off no matter what.

I hate to say it, but for playing as bad as you did, you deserve what you got.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM

I usually weak lead the flop (usually 1/2 pot).
Bet 2/3 pot on the turn.
crappy river- I maybe c/c or c/f depending on read.

Edit: and don't mini raise PF.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all DON'T MINIRAISE PREFLOP. God how I hate it when people mini-raise small pocket pairs.

Second, Raise the flop. Raise the turn, and don't push the river. In this hand you should be all in on the turn. There's no reason not to be. Don't be too tricky. If he had a King or AA he's paying you off no matter what.

Look. I posted it here because I screwed up. I can take the heat. If I played it poorly, say so. i'm here to get better.

My only question is, I thought he put me on trip kings, so that's why I didn't want him to fold thinking he made a laydown to trips. Is there any vaidity in that claim? (he only bet 4 on the turn).
I hate to say it, but for playing as bad as you did, you deserve what you got.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 PM

bet the flop, call any raise

if hes aggressive, check-raise all-in on the turn

if hes passive, bet the turn, bet the river

ive never slowplayed anything unless i have a ridiculous lock on the board, like AA on a AAx board
Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look. I posted it here because I screwed up. I can take the heat. If I played it poorly, say so. i'm here to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I did say so? You played it bad, and I think you're aware that you played it bad. You don't need us to tell you so. Though we can nitpick what fine points you screwed up, but in your mind you know what went wrong.

Learn from it. Move on. Don't make the same mistake again. That's life.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:01 AM

I'll add my voice to the chorus of don't minraise preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You need to probably move on it sometime here before the river. You can wait til the turn sometimes, but getting more money in early makes the pot larger, so river (or turn) all-ins are in good relation to the pot size. It's hard to misplay a set sometimes if you have a guy who will go to the felt with top pair or overpair. This turned out to be bad luck, but you got to get a raise in there somewhere.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:53 AM

So, basically the strategy on this hand was the check-call all the way down when you're most assuredly ahead...and then wait until you beat almost nothing to shove your chips in? ni han...

What worse hands call you on the river?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:17 AM

Your boat got counterfeited to an one outer; check/fold.

Best you could put him on was AK pre-flop with that raise. And AK here has the true nuts.

Regarding the slowplay, that's perfectly fine. You have a set that turned into a house. If you don't slowplay that, then what do you slowplay? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The river king is a check/fold for me. He could have AQ of spades but that's probably the least likely holding. The hands that you can raise, what, 12x BB are AA, KK, AKs. Given the stacks I would fold my 88 preflop.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:21 AM

I think you played this fine. I mean, come on, running kings??? NH, button got quite lucky here.