Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM

Default PP vs paired board

Standard hand that I misplayed on the river?

Villain is pretty loose, but fairly aggressive and tricky. His stats are 45.5 (these are pokeroffice stats, not poker tracker stats, so that's flops seen, not VPIP) / 6.4/1.2. Real reads would help here - but, until this hand, my notes on him were generic.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero raises, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls, everyone else folds.

Flop (9sb): 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO raises, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets, MP2 folds, CO calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I don't like getting raised on this paired board, but there's a reasonably good chance that villain's raising a flush draw; or he could have a 2 or a PP that he thinks beats my overcards; or he could be insane; or he could have a 9. If he caps, I'm probably calling down to a showdown.</font>

Turn (8bb): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO calls.

<font color="#0000FF">obvious, I guess </font>

River (10bb): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

<font color="#0000FF">I froze up when the third diamond hit; also, after villain's call on the turn, I feared a trap. I'd have called one bet (figuring I'd see a bluff or worse hand &gt;10% of the time), but I wasn't excited about getting raised here. I don't like check-call, but I don't like bet-fold in this 10bb pot either. Probably best to bet here, be happy when he calls, and cry and call when he raises.</font>

Final Pot: 10bb

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ac (two pair, aces and nines).
CO has 6d 6h (two pair, nines and sixes).
<font color="#0000FF">
I've added the results for two reasons. First, this ain't no bad beat post. Second, what do you think of villain's flop raise? I'd generally fold in his position, but I don't hate the raise. Once he gets three bet, though, I think he needs to fold to every bet I make.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: PP vs paired board

When Villain raises the flop, you can be almost certain he doesn't have a 9, I think most players would wait until the turn to raise here. I have noticed people love to raise with bottom pair on a paired board, so it looks like Villain has a 2. You said Villain was relatively tricky, so he could be raising with a flush draw. A PP is also possible.

With that said, I think Villain has a PP or flush draw after he calls the turn bet. So, I check/call the river because 1)Villain will have a flush every once in a while. You want to go to SD, and you don't want to pay 2 bets to do so.
2)Checking the river looks like you were trying to push Villain off his hand on the turn and the river, so you may induce a bluff from a weaker hand.

Looking at the results, I don't hate Villain's flop play. I definitely raise the, and call the 3-bet, but I would have to fold to the turn bet.