Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: is tournament success this arbitrary??

Regarding no one raising: If you want to see raising, play at PP. Their tournaments, especially low buy-in, R + A, and free rolls are full of action. That's why one of their tournaments that started with 2,500 people can be down to 500 in a couple of hours.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've probably played 60-70 no-limit tournaments online, and yes a bias towards the lower entry fees.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a very good idea to keep detailed track of your tournament-buy-ins - and your results.

60 - 70 tournaments - and especially when it's micro-buy-in tournaments - is a very sparse foundation to conclude anyting on. Most of the regular posters here (including yours truly) play this many tournaments every month - at least.

[ QUOTE ]
i have nominated you for "troll of the year"

[/ QUOTE ]Guess I now have earned an nomination as well, right?

Keep plugging.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 11-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Lemme tellya somethin' 'bout luck ....

Don't let it get into your head, whether good or bad. I just had the most lucky turns of cards I've ever seen in a single MTT and it still wasn't good enough to get to the money. This was out of this world.

- Bad beat early in MTT on the short stack; all in 77 v AJo, flop ace, turn blank, river 7, still alive

- Short time later, still short stack, all in JJ v AQ, flop ace, turn J, still alive

- Mid-tourney about 90 minute point, JJ again, not pressured to go all in but think I have the best of it, so I push and get TT v AJo, flop comes QAA, turn is a blank and T on the river, still alive

- Late tourney medium short stack, still need more than a double for the money, again think I have the best of it and push JJ v AKo, again Ace flop and J turn, still alive

But alas it's feast or famine as with two or three exceptions, those are the only starting hands I see. The big stacks are aggressive and getting in the pot first and I am powerless to do anything with my medium hands. I end up limping to the exit seeing 74o and 72o for 3/4 of the final orbit.

Moral of the story, keep it in your head that luck means nothing. You can make a cash with bad luck. You can not make a cash with good luck. Sure good luck can't hurt in the right spots, but you'll get enough of both that it will even out.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:00 PM

Not possible, what hand could have beat quad tens?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Running JJ, QQ, KK, AA with matching pocket pair??
Old 11-13-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Running JJ, QQ, KK, AA with matching pocket pair??

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget runner runner royal.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bear in mind, this is online at my site. B&M (or home) no limit tournaments have been alot more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

What site is this?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:21 PM

vis-a-vis sample sizes, it was basically an observation more than stating anything definitive or trying to prove anything.

i have seldom seen alot of aggression pre-flop (or the correct raise amount as per harrington) in low buy-in no limit. although i have no doubt there'd be more aggressive people at higher levels. although probably still enough people who don't what they're doing.

i have played probably 1500 hours of low limit, and there i seldom see people with the big pre-flop raises (more often than no-limit though, that's for sure).

i did very well today (2 SNG's and 1 tournament). i think i'm playing more like harrington suggests (i.e. very tight) and the cards are running very hot (trust me, i've been on the other side of it where i wanted to cry after being busted 8 times in row)

it seems like the worst players are the weak-tight. they just seem to fade away into oblivion and you can often get them off o.k. hands with a very small bet. aggressive players on the hand always make me nervous even if they aren't that good.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AA with runner-runner AA.
I'll post the hand as soon as I can get a converter to work, not just for a bad beat post, but because I'm curious what people think of my line.