Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Applying for a credit card

I'm thinking about applying for a credit card. I am currently a student and my only source of income is poker(no student loans, no money from parents). I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the best way to go about applying. More specifically, what should I put as my occupation, income, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Applying for a credit card

I got American Express Blue for students. It was very simple - just had to send them a copy of my transcript.

good luck
Old 11-07-2005, 03:49 PM

get a student credit plan if you're still in school. always pay your credit card on time and every 4-6 months ask them for a $500-1000 increase.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Try walking through the student union at your university. There are probably 5 tables set up there with different credit card companies hawking their card. Credit card companies practically beg for you to get a credit card. It's pretty easy.

As far as application goes, under occupation write down, "student". It would seem to be the most obvious response. As far as income goes, you didn't mention a job or an allowance from your parents so I have no idea what you should put down. Honesty never hurts.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:31 PM

college must be the easiest place in the world to get an unsecured credit card. even if students have little or no reportable income, the banks figure that the parents will bail the kid out of big bills (or at least arrange a in-family payback plan), rather than have a child with bad credit.

at the same time, don't expect a huge money line right off the bat. I remember my first mastercard had a max limit of $600 back in the day. I'd imagine in 2005, the most they might give you is a grand or two, if even.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM

how old are you? how much money do you make from poker that you are able to pay for your college? and how long have you been playing. just curious.

i got my first credit card offer just because i was selling a ton of stuff on ebay.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM

I'm 20..I should mention that I am Canadian and tuition is a lot cheaper up here(about $2600 a semester). I make about 2 or 3k a month on average(when school doesn't get in my way).
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 PM

I got a $1K-limit Discovercard when I was like a sophomore at college, and my income was like $200 a month from a crap parttime job(this was before I started playing poker).

Seriously, credit card companies love college students. Just apply.