Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Confused with QQ

I'm more concerned with the preflop capper (UTG) than the CO. UTG limped/capped, which suggests either 1) he's a wild man who said, "screw it, let's build a big pot" when it came back to him, or 2) he limped a monster (A-A, K-K, A-K) in order to get action. I think #2 is more likely.

So, you either must raise that flop for value, or wait for the turn, where you must raise for value/protection. I'm not sure which has more +EV.

CO could be betting out here with a lot of stuff you beat: A-9/5/7s, J-J, 10-10, etc. Depends on the player, but you gotta pop him in most cases.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is from a .25-.50 game, so I don't expect the best play at this table. That said, do I give villain credit for a set/AA/KK in this spot? I'm still a relative newbie to limit, so I may have misplayed this somewhere. Comments appreciated.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (18.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (11.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 17.20 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm most definitely raising this flop.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:54 PM

*grunch*
Preflop - ok
Flop - Raise to face callers with two bets (hopefully elminate players with a weak king, ace, or draw)
The same is true on the turn and river.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM

grunch

raise the flop for value because it is likely that you have the best hand,
CO could have big cards or a lower pocket pair
Old 11-16-2005, 09:38 PM

*Grunch*

My fisrt post! exiting stuff. Ok, here we go.....

I think I would raise this on the flop to gain a little cheap info. If I meet a re-raise then I am just calling it down.

If he just calls then on the turn/river I would raise if he bets or bet if he checks. But if he comes back at me then back to call down mode.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 PM

Hi, my first post. Hopefully not too stupid [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Preflop: Fine.
Flop: You have an overpair which may or may not be the best hand at this point. An A or K are overcards. various straight draws are also likely on this board, a 6 or an 8 puts 3 to a straight on the board.

The pot is &gt;18 sb's so you would dearly like to protect the pot. If you raise the flop you still only face the remaining 2 players with odds of 1 in 21 or so. This means anyone with as little as 2 outs to beat you has the odds to call. So a raise here doesn't protect your hand. Best wait for the turn to do this.

Can you raise for value? Is your pot equity much higher than 25%? I'm not sure. An A,K will drop by the river about 34% of the time, a 6 or 8 another 34% of the time (although this is not as dire). You also don't definately have the best hand now.

This could marginally be one of those times Miller talks about where your pot equity is likely to increase significantly if a safe card falls on the turn. And a double size turn bet is a better value raise if a safe card comes.

More importantly raising the flop makes it significantly more difficult to protect your hand on the turn for two reasons.
1. The CO is more likely to check it round to you so you can't raise.
2. When you (hopefully) raise the turn the pot has another 2 bb's in giving callers improved odds.

So I think I agree with the call on the flop!

Turn: Must raise to protect. Calling here is a disaster.

River: River play confuses me, but I would call or raise.

Any thoughts on the logic here?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:03 AM

Never ever ever ever raise the flop for information.

Information from flop raises is faulty and useless.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:21 AM

&lt;Grunch (and the answer may already be here, but...)&gt;

Definitely raise on the flop. Agreed, his preflop cap makes me nervous, but it could be AK or JJ or maybe even AQ.

The tough decision comes if he three bets us. Depending upon the player, I either go ahead and cap here, then go into call down mode if he comes firing out on the turn. (But, I also believe this situation is one in which I am very bad.) -or- just fold to his 3-bet and believe that he has a bigger pocket pair. Although, I'd have a real problem folding queens on this board.

&lt;/grunch&gt;
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 AM

at the flop:

at this level UTG is probably wild rather than having limped a monster, but you didn't post any reads. i'm primarily concerned about CO who again depending on reads might have anything in the pocket from an 88+ pair to broadway cards and is autobetting his pfr given UTG's check.

normally i raise for info here, but given i think UTG is wild and likely to 3-bet my raise, i call to see if UTG raises and CO 3-bets. (a little extra info perhaps).

turn: draw heavy board. raise to protect.

river: call
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 AM

exactly 3 reasonable hands beat us. AA, KK, 99. There's lots of stuff we are beating, AK, AQ, AJs (if they are loose), JJ, TT.

You need to raise SOMEWHERE postflop. Some argue for the turn, I kinda like the flop. These people aren't going anywhere, might as well get money into the pot and hope. There's nothing really worth protecting from.