Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: This was ugly

i think these guys are right about the river bet. there will be many times when ace high calls your bet but wouldnt have bet themselves. any pair is going to bet after youve checked and youll be forced to call. i also dont think there is much fear in a bluffraise.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? You like betting into 4 people? What do you do to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really easy flop bet.

I bet the river, fold to a raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Isn't this a prototypical river "You don't wan't overcalls" raise/fold situation?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I dont like betting AK UI into a large field, but in a 10/20 6-max game, I think betting out is a good line because of the propensity for most people to raise pairs preflop. So I think leading AK is okay here. I think another acceptable line is to check-raise a late position bettor if you have any confidence that the button or CO will bet the hand if checked to.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call with my flagrant 7 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 7th out isnt a full out since you're chopping a large amount of the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I dont like betting AK UI into a large field, but in a 10/20 6-max game, I think betting out is a good line because of the propensity for most people to raise pairs preflop. So I think leading AK is okay here. I think another acceptable line is to check-raise a late position bettor if you have any confidence that the button or CO will bet the hand if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a difference here between 10/20 and 5/10? At 5/10, I'd bet the flop, but I wouldn't bet that turn or river. Is this wrong?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At 5/10, I'd bet the flop, but I wouldn't bet that turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think firing on the flop but backing off on the turn OOP with AK UI gets you the worst of both worlds. By pulling back on the turn, you give up any hope of folding a better hand by betting, and instead you relegate yourself to either check-calling a worse hand or check-folding a better hand.

Of course, I also think there are plenty of times when its right to fold AK on the flop or 4th street. Typically this depends with the coordination of the board, the action after the flop, and the "liveness" of your outs.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:07 PM

After our flop bet didn't succeed in getting it hu - on an ugly board with no draws - I think it's unrealistic to expect that a turn bet is going to win the pot right there. And I don't think anyone is folding their small boat on the river either.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

There's nothing ugly on this board. People expect A high and their 6-outers are definitely good enough to call down. You can't ask for a much better board than this for AK UI. You apparently seem to be missing the point. You're value betting, not betting to fold a small boat.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:14 PM

But remember, I limited my comments to 5/10. At 5/10, when the flop is 5-way and unraised, I assume that at least 1 of the limpers has a pocket pair. Do you think this is unreasonable at 5/10?