Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Go Broke w/ TPTK here?

5 Handed 5/10 NL. Opponent is unknown. I open to $30 from the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He min reraises to $50. I call. He has about $520 left at this point and I have him covered. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. What is your standard line?

If you decide to check, opponent then fires $150 into the $100 pot.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Go Broke w/ TPTK here?

I like to check raise him if I feel like gambling, or just lead out for the pot and fold to a raise. Flip a coin.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:07 AM

Almost always fold to the $150 bet. Probably lead out the flop and if that doesn't take it down I either check/fold the turn or 3/4 pot the turn and fold to any resistance and check/fold the river. AJ on a J high board against overpairs is something I have lost way too much money on, so I wouldn't mind check/folding the turn.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:43 AM

I go broke here, with these stack sizes.

edit: im an idiot, thought he had250 lfet. disegerad me.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:49 AM

Check-raise all-in because you should be willing to go broke this hand. His min-reraise preflop is a sign that he is a bad player. If you lead, he pushes with a better hand and you call and lose, or he folds a missed flop. Checking will allow him to bluff with a worse hand, thus allowing you to trap dead money that you would not have gotten otherwise. Also, his over bet on the flop smells like fish.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 Handed 5/10 NL. Opponent is unknown. I open to $30 from the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He min reraises to $50. I call. He has about $520 left at this point and I have him covered. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. What is your standard line?

If you decide to check, opponent then fires $150 into the $100 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the people who say check raise him all-in, for these reasons:

1. you are only 5 handed
2. it is a "battle of the blinds" situation, which is the equivalent of a full moon for a lot of players
3. his overbet does make him seem like a bit of a fish
4. he is shortstacked
5. if he calls and shows you kings or queens, you still have a 20% chance to suck out
Old 11-05-2005, 01:59 PM

id stick it all in here without thinking about it too much.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:08 PM

too often the minraise I see here preflop is AA/KK....if you want to take a flop fine, but when it doesn't come JJx or the flush, fold. Rarely say 15% it's AK.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
too often the minraise I see here preflop is AA/KK....if you want to take a flop fine, but when it doesn't come JJx or the flush, fold. Rarely say 15% it's AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats your plan, folding pf is best of all. Once you call pf, and basically "say" you dont believe they have QQ+ X% of the time (not so quick math question: How often do they need to have those hands to make a fold pf better?) then you SHOULD go broke with tptk here.

Honestly, hands like this bother me so much, this isn't the right place for a rant, but if pf is an error - which possibly it was, all about the QQ+ "X" factor - then postflop just compounds it. (And you should get the rest of your money in) It's like starting with a bunch of 2x4s trying to build a small toy boat. (that was probably a horrid anology)
Old 11-05-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats your plan, folding pf is best of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 30:1 implied odds? No way.

P.S. to OP: Don't go broke on this flop.