Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 PM

Default How do you handle a mini-raise with TPTK?

Villian is tighter than I am (that is very difficult in itself). Over 1151 hands, his stats are:

14.60 VP$IP, 1.48 PF Raise %. Despite being tight, in the time I played him, he seems to be a loser, not making correct plays, too passive when he needs to be more aggressive, etc. On the short term, he's at -8.42 BB/100 hands, but I have a feeling the long term doesn't look too bright for him too. Anyhow, on to the hand:

What's your play?

Garland

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($600)
UTG+1 ($616.90)
UTG+2 ($742.75)
MP1 ($687.30)
MP2 ($635.10)
MP3 ($469.95)
CO ($368.95)
Button ($349.39)
Garland ($1022.75)
BB ($663.90)

Preflop: Garland is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Garland posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls $6, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Garland (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($30) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $22</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $44</font>...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: How do you handle a mini-raise with TPTK?

Some people like to min-raise with a flush draw because it disguises the hand. He could be doing this, but I don't think it's worth it to find out without ever seeing him make this move previously. 1.48 PFR means he probably limps QQ, right? Then you're dominated to 44, 55, and QQ and currently ahead of a flush draw. I think a fold is correct against a very tight player like this.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:33 PM

he's super tight and not aggro....you are behind. He's not semi-bluffing here...he's got a set.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:52 PM

you bet to see where he is at. you said he was playing passive in this session then i think your hand has to hit the muck it screams 44 or 55 to me. kick it in a take your 28 dollar loss not that much to a tight player who has postion on you facing a reraise.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:52 PM

Looks like a set miner to me. People who min raise with a flush draw usually do it in position. People who do it out of position have sets most of the time.
Fold.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:44 AM

This particular mini raise I am going to handle with a fold. I'd probably check the flop as well.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 AM

Bah, these replies suck.

OK, so he is super tight-passive preflop, so there is a decent chance he has a set. But:

1. Your hand is toward the upper end of your hand range here. Villain could have KJ/etc and be confident he is ahead.

2. You are getting over 4:1 on your call here, that is a pretty good price.

3. It is entirely consistent for a nitty player to minraise with TP or a flush draw here. They are not doing it as an aggressive move, but rather to "see where they are at" for cheap (edit: and to knock out the guys behind them) and to have the option of checking behind the turn.

So, I call the flop, check the turn, and see what they do. I am folding to most bets, but I think they will be checking behind a fair % of the time (in which case you are probably winning). I might call a small bet if I make the read that they are trying to get a free showdown. I don't think this is close- even vs this opponent, folding here is giving up way too easily.

-muz
Old 10-01-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain could have KJ/etc and be confident he is ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree: no nit who plays only 14.6% VP$IP is limping UTG with KJ, suited or not.

Garland
Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 AM

I hate folding to min raises. It just sucks. But what hand is he playing this way that you are beating?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 AM

I'm looking for a similar hand where the villian isn't insane but doesn't squeak either, I think that would be an interesting discussion as well, but I can't find one. I remember these situations being discussed on here before though, but my archives are a mess.

Not creative really, but with this guy I like fold, KJs seems a little frisky for him UTG, no? Can't see KQcc or a connector here either.