Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Win rate at omaha/8

Hi all,

First post in this forum.

After grinding the low limit Hold'em tables for a few months, I've decided to learn another game, and o/8 looks fascinating and fun. I have a couple of questions (sorry if these are FAQ's):

What's an acceptable win rate (BB/100) at low limit o/8? Can a decent player expect to make more at o/8 than at Hold'em?

What would you recommend as a first o/8 read? (I'm well-read in Hold'em and general poker theory, so an advanced text would be fine.)

Thanks

olavfo
Old 08-20-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Win rate at omaha/8

Well I've been to some of Mark Tenner's O-8 seminars, and I'd definitely suggest his book as a place to start.

The beauty of limit O-8 is that you don't have to be an EXPERT at it to win, you just need to be solid compared to your opponents at the level you play. Really, the advice "wait for the nuts" is half the battle, at least at the smaller limits.

As for your win rate, I wouldn't expect too much more than you could get from a good hold'em game. If you can break 1 big bet / hour (even by a little) over the long run, you're probably doing just fine.

al
Old 08-20-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Win rate at omaha/8

I find limit 08 tedious as could be, but PL08 online is a lot of fun and can be WAY more lucrative in a BB sense than Holdem. After almost 6 months and 40,000 hands my BB/100 is holding over 16 at a mixture of limits up to $200 tables.
Its not that I'm great, its that you can really exploit players that don't fully understand the game. I'd probably learn limit first then move to PL at the lower levels as soon as you think you have it down.

I think you can learn a lot from a few articles that are often referenced on this forum. Including:

Badger PLO8 Article