Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Merits of MinRaising

[ QUOTE ]
I find that people call me with AK UI if I minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find that people will call with almost any two they felt good enough to open with preflop if I minraise their flop lead. the more aggressive players will also lead the turn with overs/turned draws/etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Default An argument against minraising

One problem with any strategy that incorporates minraising is that observant opponents will deduce the conditions under which you will minraise after a few minraised hands get shown down (and of course, after a few hands where you made a larger raise are shown down). To counter this, you need to minraise in a variety of situations, including ones where a minraise is undesirable. As in all things related to deception, finding the correct frequency of minraising in a variety of situations can be tricky.

If you generally make your raises half pot or more, you have a lot more flexibility in the exact size you choose for a particular situation without giving up much in the way of information (people might remember "smallish" raise or "big" raise but all of them give incorrect drawing odds against most hands and you can adjust each individual raise as befits the situation).

In SSNL, you don't give up a lot by minraising because people don't pay attention; however, you might have a lot of difficulty with minraise-based strategies once you get to a point where most opponents are at least somewhat observant.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Minraises work great against 2+2ers. The turn min-check raise will put many in tears. To everything there is a season.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you check mini-raise me i will hunt you down and kill you
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like betting very small with relation to the pot, there is a time and a place for a minraise. A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] board is probably not that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to quote one more time. I was thinking more along the lines of the possibility of replacing cold calling with minraising in the situations described

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that people call me with AK UI if I minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is why I think its perfect to do if you mix in lock hands too
Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Im new to NL (played limit for awhile now) and I almost always minraise. What is the common raise when raising in NL? Pot sized? Is the idea to get people to fold, or do you want them to commit more chips?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 AM

I pretty much always call min-raises with AK UI after my CB. I c/f unimproved, but the # of times that the villain does this min-raise with air and then doesn't have the sack to fire a second barrel, and the number of times I hit and win a good pot make it a good move I think.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I pretty much always call min-raises with AK UI after my CB. I c/f unimproved, but the # of times that the villain does this min-raise with air and then doesn't have the sack to fire a second barrel, and the number of times I hit and win a good pot make it a good move I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you check turn and I've minraised the flop I'm betting 1/2 pot turn whether I have a hand or not (following this theory at least)