Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default AK overcard headsup play

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

BB is interesting. He's a bit of a maniac but aggressive nonetheless. I think he's showing some aggression because he's paired up on something on the flop unless I come over the top on him with a 3-bet or cap. He did try to bluff check-raise a busted flush draw on the river once only to get 3-bet and actually call that down, so he's a bit passive too when played back at.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.
I usually try to bet out first on the flop or toss in a raise to put people behind me 2 more bets. If I'm raised, then I might call if I have enough odds for 3 outs, usually with a small field I don't. I tried to raise and hopefully get a free card on the turn if I don't hit then.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.
I think BB has something since he isn't scared of my raise and since the pot is small, I think folding is the best option.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Did I play this correctly? Usually I try to be an early aggressor with AK overs on the flop in a small field (2 opponents or less) and slow down on the river, maybe the turn, if things don't improve. I might 3-bet occassionally with maniacs who I think also might have overs (AQ and very rarely AJ). If I'm capped I'm probably looking to fold on the turn unless I have odds to see the river if I think my overs are good. How would this be played differently if I were to have 2 or 3 players behind me? Would it be correct to call the flop bet from BB since the pot would be much larger?