Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: talked with absolute on the phone about my slow-downs

My response to Absolute 4 days ago.
Hello:
Thought you may be interested in my reason for a partial cashout. It's very straight forward-I can only barely abide the slow interface. Really, it's detrimental to my playing experience. Reminds me of the bad old days of a dial-up modem connection. I'll be watching for some improvement and will play your site regularly again once you get the interaction speed up to that of Party Poker.

While I'm at it here's abother thing to consider. The graphics of your
interface are not at all peaceful to the eye. Highly contrasting colors are gaudy. Now I imagine there are studies in your industry that encourage maximizing graphic and aural 'noise' so as to distract and tire gamblers into catatonia or at least non thoughtful play; more money for the house and all that. But some of us would prefer a baccarat-like or for that matter a B&M card room setting. No glare, flashing lights, buzzers, bells, whistles,etc. Attempts at matching a used car sales lot or a slot machine dominated environment are mistakes IMO. How bout an upgrade in class?

That's all for now. Thanks for the feedback opportunity. I appreciated the incentive you offered to sit down at Absolute and would like to play more. I'll be watching for some change.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:30 PM

i believe I mentioned that the tech I talked to specifically mentioned that he has some 4 or 5 year old model with a pentium 3 to test it out on...and he says it works fine on that.

So it's not just about the p-chip evidently.

He (or someone at AP) may be reading this thread and I'm sure will be interested to learn that I'm not the only one having this situation.

Thanks for your input...as well as for confirming that I'm not the only one thus negating my idea that aliens from the galaxy PartyPoker came down to earth and tinkered with my computer because they didn't want me playing on AP.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that Absolute runs any slower than any other site, it just seems that way. The graphics are just so Gawd-awful that you think you have been damned to stare at them for eternity.

Absolute graphics are the opposite of sensory deprivation, and inflict the same trauma on the psyche, including a complete shut-down of temporal sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I don't know; I've never had a problem with their graphics. Maybe I just don't have any taste... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 05-20-2005, 06:42 PM

yeah.

the graphics are pretty colorful obviously but i really don't give a damn. doesn't bother me as much as others who seem to be having epileptic seizures every time they turn on AP.

In the meanwhile, I can't stand playing with the avatars on at a place like party or pokerroom.
I also don't care for the full-view at UB but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it.

And I suspect if I headed over to Truepoker that the animated avatars and 3d look would REALLY bug the crap out of me and would keep me from playing there.

But I'm okay with absolute's tables.

I still like Stars tables the best as I can follow the action at a glance much easier over there then on any other site it seems.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:47 PM

I have an Athlon chip and AP was a buggy slow POS until I jumped to 1gig of RAM under XP (which I'm starting to believe stands for Xtra Poor).

Could this be a bus speed/CPU/RAM/OS combination with ol Bob having the worst of all worlds?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the meanwhile, I can't stand playing with the avatars on at a place like party or pokerroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avatars at Party can be turned off using the Options tab in the Lobby. I wish the same could be said at Absolute. (Are you reading this, AP folks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )
Old 05-21-2005, 04:32 PM

Yes....I turn them off.

I'm just saying that 3d-ish type avatars of people sitting in chairs annoy me.

I don't mind the flat-panel pic avatars of a place like Stars, AP or bodog. Sometimes I've been known to turn-off a specific players avatar at Stars if it is distracting me (like a big eye-ball staring at me or something....or an ugly baby) but otherwise the 2d avatars I kinda like.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Did this ever get sorted?

I've just started losing lots of money on Absolute and have noticed that my hard drive is constantly being accessed whilst playing, very annoying to have it constantly chugging away.

They seem to write text files in the program file directory whilst you're playing. If your virus software is set to check files when they change then the Absolute client and the virus software coulds start fighting for access to the file. One of the files is changed at least everyhand and maybe even every betting round.

I'll probably uninstall once I've cleared my bonus or gone broke, whichever comes first. The chug, chug, chugging is really annoying when you're spewing chips.

TC
Old 05-29-2005, 01:51 AM

When I have this problem the ho.exe app is writing tons of data to the harddrive... way more than the usually high levels. I sent a bunch of info to their support email about this but could get nothing but useless boilerplate responses back.

One thing I noticed is that I never (rarely?) have the problem with only a single table running. Once I go to >1 table, the problem starts occurring. Someone on a previous thread said that they thought it was related to using the pre-select-your-action buttons. I tried not using them with two tables for a while and didn't have an issue, so maybe it's true.

Anyway, maybe these observations will help them get it fixed now that you have a contact that can theoretically do something about it.