Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Polar Bears drowning and resorting to cannibalism...

Here's the article - found from Slashdot

It astonishes me the blind naiviety of these Republicans who insist they aren't convinced that Global warming is happening. Every year we get another story or two like this and they still have their hands over their ears going "LA LA LA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU." Even more naive is the notion that it can't affect us or that we can buy our way out of any issues it causes.

The house has smoke all thru the ground floor - the ceiling is burning two stories up out of sight and all Republicans can say is "Well, we're not convinced this smoke is our house. And we're not convinced that there hasn't been smoke here before and that this is natural geology - and we're not convinced the fire will spread to the ground floor if the building is on fire.

[censored] idiots - naive, blind, [censored] idiots.

RB
Old 12-18-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Polar Bears drowning and resorting to cannibalism...

It is normal behaviour for male adult polar bears to eat young bears if the mother is not vigilant.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It astonishes me the blind naiviety of these Republicans who insist they aren't convinced that Global warming is happening. Every year we get another story or two like this and they still have their hands over their ears going "LA LA LA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU." Even more naive is the notion that it can't affect us or that we can buy our way out of any issues it causes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that the concept that the earth is getting warmer is an idea that is at issue. Clearly the earth's atmosphere is getting warmer each year. What is at issue is 1.) Why is it getting warmer? 2.) What are the implications of this? 3.) What can be done about it, if anything.

Clearly, if it is some sort of natural cycle the earth goes through, then nothing can be done about the atmospheric changes and humans will have to adjust to a warmer world. OTOH, if there is something we as human beings are doing to maker the earth warmer, then clearly we must change whatever that is.

Before you get so worked up over an issue, maybe you ought to understand what it is that is getting you upset.

Frankly, I don't think you will find a difinitive answer on this one as neither the scientific nor political community has found one.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I don't think you will find a difinitive answer on this one as neither the scientific nor political community has found one.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have. Unfortunately the scientific answer means political suicide.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His point still stands about the political community....they haven't decided that there is a 'definitive answer' or even a definitive question for that matter. Except maybe 'how can we ignore the issue?'
Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM

Not just polar bears. Pretty standard behavior for predatory species.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM

Since you are brazen enough to start calling people naive [censored] idiots, I suppose, then, that you have a detailed, well thought out answer to this problem of global warming that is going to destroy all of us. I'm sure we would all like to hear it.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is normal behaviour for male adult polar bears to eat young bears if the mother is not vigilant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was also normal for the Earth to continue to steadily warm following an Ice age.

I also thought it was normal, on any given decade or two, for a single volcanic eruption to spew more CO2 and pollutants into the atmosphere than the has been produced in the entire scope of mankind's industrial history.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also thought it was normal, on any given decade or two, for a single volcanic eruption to spew more CO2 and pollutants into the atmosphere than the has been produced in the entire scope of mankind's industrial history.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pay no attention to that kind of information. It's distracting, and draws your attention away from the main issue here. It's the strawberries, I tell you. The strawberries. Ignore issues like this and there's no telling what it will lead to.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
His point still stands about the political community....

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently you two know the 'difinitive answer'. Are you going to post it here? Shall we alert the media? Could we get a little information on your background, and how you made this discovery.

Headline: Wiskeytown frames the issue -- calls all opposing evidence the work of 'idiots'. Superleeds knows the answer, and may share it soon!