Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Default cards flow hot and cold!!

wanted to post this here so that next time i go on a huge run, i can come back here and look at this.

i was so happy three weeks ago, doing really well in SNG's and big tournaments... wait for good cards, bet big, hit flop or continuation semi-bluff. and just destroying people.

now i wait and wait and when the cards come i just get decimated. i'm busting bluffs big-time and then getting rivered.. i'm only a hair away from "online poker is rigged" but i've had too many huge runs myself and seen too much wierd stuff in my limited B&M experience.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: cards flow hot and cold!!

I got crushed Monday night. Terrible cards and a couple terrible beats.

Next session please.

It will test how serious you want to be about this game.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 PM

I didn't really realize it until just now. When you are getting the good cards, KEEP PLAYING until you fall over from sleep deprivation. When you can't get the cards, just stop playing and try again later.

Last night I was doing really well and then quit because I wanted to go to bed while I was ahead.

Today I played and I was struggling all day. I couldn't get a string of wins no matter how many strong hands I played. I kept missing the flop. I ended up stopping, and I plan on playing again later.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really realize it until just now. When you are getting the good cards, KEEP PLAYING until you fall over from sleep deprivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cards don't know they've been running good. If you're in a game you're beating because of the opponents, then yes, play as much as you can while retaining your edge. (Sklansky would say to prop up your eyelids, but that's a bit extreme IMO; many of us can't retain an edge in that condition.) But don't play just because the cards are running good, because they have no more propensity to keep running good. It just looks that way because humans discern patterns after the fact.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cards don't know they've been running good. If you're in a game you're beating because of the opponents, then yes, play as much as you can while retaining your edge. (Sklansky would say to prop up your eyelids, but that's a bit extreme IMO; many of us can't retain an edge in that condition.) But don't play just because the cards are running good, because they have no more propensity to keep running good. It just looks that way because humans discern patterns after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously this is 100% true but it's hard to shake the idea.

in hindsight, the cards run hot for sure. it's just you can't predict it ahead of time.

i just posted this to help me and others, especially beginners (don't want them too high or low with success/"tough times" - although you have to analyze the bad times. no one ever lost alot of $$$ playing too tight in low limit)
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM

I wasn't finding fault in your OP; if anything, I was just cautioning ItalianFX (or others who might read that post) against superstition.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:15 AM

I wasn't meaning to just play everything, but stick to your gameplan. When you are getting the cards, yes, it may be random, but you're also feeling at your best. You're less likely to go on tilt. That is all I was meaning.

But I understand what you are saying.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:31 AM

my basic advice i was alluding to is that when things start running bad, tighten up some for awhile. and consult a SSHE starting hand chart to make sure you haven't got too far away.

i have a huge pet peeve with all these people saying "get away from starting hand charts". while i understand why they say it (different type opponents, shorthanded, no-limit), it just seems most people get miles away from those charts.

funny thing i've noticed at B&M... i hear people talking big "scare card" "confused me when you checked the turn" "i put you on QQ" etc. these people sound like they really know what they're doing, then they flip the cards and i'm incredulous at what they're playing. they think they're experts but they are violating the most basic winning poker principles (and this is low limit with calling stations, not negreanu/ivey/hansen country).. and i've seen it with every player who talked like that (admittedly not a big sample)..... i think tons and tons of people have got away from the basics.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:39 PM

I suggest you forget about results and concentrate on making the proper play at each point during the hand.

Focus on maxing out your EV at each point during the hand.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think tons and tons of people have got away from the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure most people ever knew the basics. I am very new to the game and am far from an expert but the more I learn the more I think poker is like the joke about the fishermen seeing a bear. The first fisherman tightens his boots and the other says "do you really think you can outrun that bear"? The first responds, "no but I can outrun you and that's all that matters"! If you are better than your opponents you will win and if you are not you will lose (at least in the long run).