Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 AM

Default 2 tough decisions from Foxwoods

Hand #1: Blinds are 25-50, you have about a 9k stack.

UTG raises to 300, I decided to call in the button with JJ; BB also calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets 300 again, I call and BB raises to 1500. UTG folds.

Your action?

Hand #2: Blinds 200-400 with 50 ante. You have a 10k stack and KQ in the BB.

EP raises to 1k (which is very small for the standard raise up to this point), LB calls and you call.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check; and EP goes AI for about 13k. SB folds. Your move?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: 2 tough decisions from Foxwoods

First one: get rid of it. Waay too early to be moving with hands like that.

Second one is tough but I'd say fold as well. His bet makes no sense and you just really have to assume hes got a better hand. In a situation like this I might go all in but I almost never call all in. The only hand I could see someone doin this with that you can beat is QQ (which even then doesnt make a whole lot of sense) and you have one of the queens which makes it unlikely. Might be holding AK or even AA.

Was this EP player a fish or a skilled player?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 AM

Barf on hand 1: You've played it well but BB can have any number of reasonable hands ranging from AT to a set to QJ. I might lay it down here. The pot is getting expensive and it's hard to quantify what a blank is on this board.
(My gut read is that he has AT...but i dunno if i have the balls to repop it)

Hand 2: Gah what a strange raise on both levels. Pushing 11k for a 3k pot? I'd call, but would be upset if he showed AA.
(Gut instinct, he has KQ)
Old 11-18-2005, 02:43 AM

I like repopping the first one. I don't think he plays an overpair like this in a multiway pot out of position and he doesn't play a set this fast against a pfr AND a coldcaller.

The second hand, he has AA a ton of times here. A small raise preflop combined with an overbet on the flop means AA so much. Any reads on the guy?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:59 AM

Hand 1 - I think UTGs bet size dictates my action somewhat. He bet 300 into a 900 pot, I like a raise to 1200-1500 (I'm assuming UTG and BB have similar stack sizes as you?). I think a raise defines your hand much better. If BB or UTG goes allin after your raise, it is easier to fold, IMO.

If UTG bet 600 to 1000 on the flop, then I like just calling with jacks. I don't think many players will be check raising a strong bet and a strong call without a damn good hand, so if BB moves allin on this sequence, I think a fold is in order most of the time.

BTW, I would probably fold to BBs allin with the betting action you describe. He may only have a T in his hand, but I think other holdings that beat you are at least as likely.

It sounds like it was early in the tournament, so no line on BBs play yet? If I were in the BB w/AT (or JT for that matter) with that flop and 2 players to act behind me, I would be betting into the raiser most of the time. AT is just too vulnerable to a free card.

Augie
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 AM

Hand 1: This is tough, but since it's the BB, I think it's a fold. I mean the only hands you are ahead of are like AT KT, and against QJ, you are a small favorite. Everything else the BB could possibly have (33,99,TT,T9, slowplayed QQ-AA), have you crushed. I think not reraising preflop put you in a bad position. The only problem I see with calling the flop is that if he bets big, you are going to be forced to play for all your chips. If you feel your hand is good here, by all means.

Hand 2 - call, I think. Your hand is just strong enough to get you in trouble if your beat. This is an instance where if you are ahead, you have him murdered, but if you are behind, you are dead.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:25 AM

Hand 1: I like raising to 1K-ish the first time. Since you didn't, you've got to decide if you're playing for your stack or at least half of it. I think his range is [AT, QJ, T9, random ten, set, AA, crap] in roughly that order, and vs. that range, I want his chips in.

I'm gonna take a small risk here and just call since a reraise will fold all of his weaker hands and most of the time, big cards scare him as much as me (ie, he will not 'bluff' the turn when an ace hits). The intention is to raise any turn that looks remotely favorable. If I get bet/3 bet there it's a much easier muck.

Hand 2: Blah. I barf and reluctantly fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:50 AM

Hand 1: I fold. If you call and he has AT, hes probably gonna fire another bet which you'll have to fold to. It's fairly likely that you are beat by a set or two pair, and if you raise, you are comitting way too many chips to find out.

Hand 2: Looks a lot like aces to me. I fold and am not to worried about it. If he makes this play with a hand worse than KQ, then you would have seen some horrible plays before the 200/400 level and known who you were up against.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Looks a lot like aces to me. I fold and am not to worried about it. If he makes this play with a hand worse than KQ, then you would have seen some horrible plays before the 200/400 level and known who you were up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely, but what if you know he is going to move AI no matter what? I think his range is wider here, although folding is probably the right play. Being at the table would probably be helpful in regards to this hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM

hand 1) i really dislike that flop call... you need to raise there. that 300 bet is too stupid... obviously u have him beat, and i think you should make sure the flop gets bet (4real) here.
as played, BB could have a huge range of hands which include quite of bit of air if he is any good. still, i would shrug and fold.
even if you are a fav to have the best hand you have huge reverse implied odds vs set/top2 and calling this bet to fold for 2500 on 4th seems ugggggly.

hand 2) thats a tough spot. seems silly to call in this spot PF and now you fold. how long have you been playing w/ this guy? would he shove in with A5 here?
id prob fold since he opened EP and AK has you drawing so slim here.