Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: What if you fell 30 ft?

Also, as a random bit of information, a human can survive a fall from an infinite # of feet, if he lands on snow on a mountain or something. A human reaches a terminal velocity of about 200mp/h very quickly, and in my physics corse we discussed cases of men falling out of airplaines, landing on snow, getting up bruised and walking away.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I crashed into a truck on my bike at about 30 MPH or so, flipped up over the top, and did a standard jiu jitsu front roll, guiding myself with my hand, tucking in and then rolling. I rolled up onto one foot and was standing on my feet when it was done. But the force of the quick spin plus the speed it was started at was tremendous, and the foot I came up on coming out of the roll hit the ground pretty hard, and the outside of my knee was really sore too. My bike was snapped completely in half, though, so I did better than it did.

I don't really know what the best way to do it would be, but I think it would take a great deal of training not to get seriously hurt, or just some kind of great luck and innate athleticism and strong bones and joints. Apparently, from seeing the Parkour videos, you can jump from some staggering heights if you're trained well and be fine, landing on your feet. I think if I had forward momentum, I'd go into a roll, and if I didn't, I'd try landing on my feet. I've often thought it would be better to land on my back, because I can fall extraordinarily well on my back. But the thing is, having a feel for where your body should be when your back is only a few feet from the ground is much different than when it's 30 feet from the ground. And the way you would fall would be different too. I think landing on your back instead of accidentally on your shoulder, head, or neck would be pretty tricky, and catastrophic if it goes wrong. I think I'd rather have my legs shattered than have my head knocked off my neck.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is clearly 3d6 points of damage no matter how you slice it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what this means [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do too, and I never even actually played.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 PM

My inclination would be to say tuck & roll, but i'd be afraid the ground would be coming up too fast and my attempted roll would just land me head first into the dirt. So I'd probably say soft legs and roll backward using a slapping motion at the ground as your roll back. It's another pretty common martial arts fall.

I think paratroopers roll sideways or something, but I don't know how to do it.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Here's a link to some of the Parkour guys video.

http://www.le-parkour.com/leparkour.avi

They have other ones there too.

The movie I was talking about was Banlieue 13, and I'm hoping Netflix gets it. If not, I may buy it. Anyway, I saw a video in which a guy was doing all kinds of crazy stuff. The video here that I linked to is not quite that wild, but still shows a guy running up the side of a house, doing a very cool jump onto a narrow handrail, and some cool acrobatics. Lots of talk in it, but worth the download.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:53 PM

I've fallen close to thirty feet before. I was rock climbing without ropes and got to a a point on the rock face where I couldn't climbed anymore in any direction, and I couldn't climb back down the way I came up. I just sttod there clinging to the rock face until my muscles couldn't hold me there anymore. I probably fell 25-30 feet and landed on my feet. The ground was uneven and most of the force of the fall was transfered to my left leg and ankle. The force of landing threw me to my back and I skidded along the ground for a little bit. Luckily I was climbing with a friend and she helped my to our vehicle and to the emergency room. I only ended up with a severe ankle sprain and the cuts on my back. Ever since then I have had a fear of heights that I had never had before.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Falling will do that to you.

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would routinely climb up to our grammar school's roof to retrieve footballs and jump back down onto the grass. That was at least 25 feet high. Luckily never got hurt. I drive by the school now, and feel lucky I didn't break my neck back then.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I crashed into a truck on my bike at about 30 MPH or so, flipped up over the top, and did a standard jiu jitsu front roll, guiding myself with my hand, tucking in and then rolling. I rolled up onto one foot and was standing on my feet when it was done. But the force of the quick spin plus the speed it was started at was tremendous, and the foot I came up on coming out of the roll hit the ground pretty hard, and the outside of my knee was really sore too. My bike was snapped completely in half, though, so I did better than it did.

I don't really know what the best way to do it would be, but I think it would take a great deal of training not to get seriously hurt, or just some kind of great luck and innate athleticism and strong bones and joints. Apparently, from seeing the Parkour videos, you can jump from some staggering heights if you're trained well and be fine, landing on your feet. I think if I had forward momentum, I'd go into a roll, and if I didn't, I'd try landing on my feet. I've often thought it would be better to land on my back, because I can fall extraordinarily well on my back. But the thing is, having a feel for where your body should be when your back is only a few feet from the ground is much different than when it's 30 feet from the ground. And the way you would fall would be different too. I think landing on your back instead of accidentally on your shoulder, head, or neck would be pretty tricky, and catastrophic if it goes wrong. I think I'd rather have my legs shattered than have my head knocked off my neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok whatever Ong-Bak [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think paratroopers roll sideways or something, but I don't know how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, you align your body vertical, bend you joints slightly, but keep muscles fairly tight, and when you hit the ground you collapse to either side, letting the ground hit first your feet, then calf, thigh, butt, etc.

BTW, I've seen 2 people jump from 1250', chutes fail to open (but streamers), and walk away using this method.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other guy was a big guy who landed on his stomach. His stomach hurt a bit after he fell, but didn't break any bones, so he considered himself lucky. A few days later his stomach started to bother him, but he was going through a stressful period, and thought it was just indigestion. The pain persisted, but he refused to go to a doctor. His breath then started to get really bad...it smelled like something had literally died inside him. Actually, something *literally* had -- his stomach had moved and twisted when he'd hit the ground, and had become gangrenous over time. He finally collapsed one day with a massive fever and was rushed to the hospital. They ended up having to remove a good chunk of his stomach to save his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get this straight. the guy jumped off a two story house, landed on his stomach, had stomach issues a few days later, and thought it was stress??