Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Default What to do with TPTK?

This is from a $10 Multi-Table Tournament (but the MTT forum is pretty weak on Omaha).

PokerStars (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero (2090) is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB (2340) posts a blind of 15.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises 90 to 120</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (360 in pot) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets 360</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (1080 in pot) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets 1080</font>, Hero folds.

I'm pretty clearly beaten on the turn, right? Should I have even called the flop?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: What to do with TPTK?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty clearly beaten on the turn, right? Should I have even called the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you called the flop. What do you think you're beating or drawing to? It's one thing to bet with TPTK head's up, or even raise with it (basically a bluff). In Omaha, calling with it is almost never the right thing to do unless you have a solid draw (around 12 big outs or more).
Old 12-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Silent, as you can probably guess I'm new to Omaha. I was just trying to think about what hands Villain might have potted pre-flop. It's unlikely he's got the two remaining A's in the deck (or is it?), so I thought he could be continuation betting KK or an AK-type hand of his own that he would slow down with if I called the flop. Wistful thinking, I guess. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TPTK

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. Its not holdem. TPTK is crap. What is more its tournament, you cant rebuy. You really dont want to get involved in marginal (at very very best) situation. What you want is to win sure chips and going for a double/bust coinflip if you really have to.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Raise preflop to isolate SB on who you have position. If he reraises you can put him on AAxx and make decisions there after.

I fold the flop, his hand reeks of AA to me and since he bets out the turn i strongly doubt you can bluff him out with a raise and that is what TPTK is equal to on the turn, a bluff, it has almost no showdown value.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop to isolate SB on who you have position. If he reraises you can put him on AAxx and make decisions there after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmm, strong, very strong. I like the way you think.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:10 AM

After just seeing the title of this thread, the answer is FOLD.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:10 PM

Is this thread broken? bruins posnt doesnt register as read for me.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM

i wouldnt have called on the flop even though its rather harmless-looking u only have top pair and just 2 outs if your opponent flopped a small set and your dead obviously if he had the case aces. plus u need to factor in what u would have to commit on the turn. i dunno though... its a tough call but since you cant lose what you dont put in i would fold