Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: What\'s up with Swedish/Norweigen players???

I think one reason why Norwegians do good is because poker has always been considered a game of skill in Norway, not a game of luck. That motivates very many players to study the game really hard (when they lose they go read a book instead of complaining about bad beats). It has also become socially acceptable to i.e. drop out of college and play poker professionally.

In addition, without being racistic, I think we tilt a bit less than many other nationalities. Partly due to our upbringing that sort of is focused on controlling aggression and partly due to the fact that for a Norwegian player losing his entire bankroll in poker is not the end of the world, since the social security system is good.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM

And I have to add, I know maybe something like 20 Norwegian pros, and I have never heard of any of them colluding in any way, so I doubt that this is widespread.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 AM

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the scandanivans and how they do some well in the stars 215. I just tend to think that there are a lot of them playing and they are highly aggressive and skilled. Didn't Carlos M. win the thing one week and place like 3rd the next? Can't variance be kind to a talented bunch (like 100/3000), each week? Maybe, maybe not, but collusion seems unlikely to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

I've never placed in a higher buy-in tourney so I must be the worst player in Scandinavia. Seriously, I believe it's in our nature to be patient. Also, we have good education from early on. Some friends of mine took a year at high school in USA/Canada at the age of 16/17 and they were all top students in their class. They even excelled most of their class in English lessons (spelling and grammar). Though, we have to pay a filthy amount of money in taxes and although I have a master degree in computer science, I have to rely on poker to give me that extra cash needed. An American friend of mine moved back to California after completing his studies in Sweden. He earns way above six figures/year while my salary is merely twice our cleaner's salary. Yes, people with low income still have a decent amount while those with education are underpaid, compared to other countries that is.

As someone already pointed out, we have always had good athletes. How come Sweden, with a total population of 9 million (compared to 300 million in USA), currently occupies the top two spots on the NHL leaderboard? I don't know, especially since it's considered "bad" to believe in yourself. At least you shouldn't talk about it.

A combination of the things above is what drives us to be better at poker. In my case, a job and a social life prevents me from playing enough tournies to improve quickly. Though, as the winter approaches, I now have to stay inside playing poker to avoid constant attacks from polarbears. Those suckers keep lurking around my house til late February [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mission: To learn how to push small edges early on (Thanks, woodguy)
Old 11-15-2005, 07:07 AM

The Swedes seem to tear up Ladbrokes as well, and are always well represented on the Poker Million which is a ladbrokes based live tournament. I think its their nature and a cavalier agressive playing style that is hard to cope with.

Sweden is probably the place for metal music these days as well, must be somthing in the water or maybe to do with how much leisure time they have to have indoors.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Swedes seem to tear up Ladbrokes as well..

[/ QUOTE ]
I found this report from Ladbrokes. It shows return for every invested dollar.

1 Finland 1,01060
2 Canada 1,00788
3 China 1,00569
4 Austria 1,00058
5 Sweden 1,00049

Age Return
18-25 0,997
26-30 0,989
31-35 0,980
36-40 0,979
41-45 0,973
45-50 0,962
Over 50 0,960

Female 99,39%
Male 98,65%
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 AM

The chinese can play at Ladbrookes?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 AM

BULLOCKS!! No more cheating, if any, here then elsewhere, but true dedication and firm belief that poker is a skill game, percistent ability to study study study and play with hearth and mind. An oil technology university in USA sendt lectureres over to norway to investigate the term"skippertak" which roughly transelates into the ability to get shitloads of work done acurately, with focus, and fast over a short period of time. Ideal for projects and the sorts. The reason was that scandinavian students seem to get the best of their speartime-going to parties etc, and the best of their studies-above average results as a group, due to not letting anything distract them when the [censored] hits the fan and exams/presentation is due. I believe that an asset many scandinavians posess is the ability to not go halfhearted about an interest-time is to valuable, so if one is going to dedicate time it is done with conviction and dedication and few believ in second best. On the outside many appear to not want to front themselves with words, but speak with action and everybody wants to become winners at their respective fields.

I am sure you will find players that dont fare so well, and it is also a question of how long they have played( maybe you didnt notice them when they where at the wrong side of the scale?), and I believe that scandinavians who loose and dont comitt them selves to poker, rather quit then hang around as donks hoping to score the lucky one

For what it is worth, Stokken. Indy what you preach/question is BS !!!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM

They dominate more than just your sunday tournament.

Just look at any high stakes limit or no limit table. Its Prahlad versus Scandinavia.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:42 AM

There are obvious flaws with these arguments. No doubt scandia players are better but unless they make up at least 1/4th of the field then there is no way that they occupy this many spots at the FT every week w/o colluding. Of course, my estimate of 100/3500 entrants could be too low. The variance in the game is just too high to allow such results. We need a clear idea of how many there are in the big game to know the p-value more accurately. By the way, why don't these guys win the WSOP, WPT, etc etc??? Even the EPT is won by dutch/brits/americans/others etc.

Indy