Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Default I need help with AQo!!! Hand from last nights $200 +$15 on UB.

AQ is a hand that seems to give me almost as much, if not more, trouble than JJ. I am really interested to hear people's comments and their thought process about this hand. Early stage of $200 + $15 MTT on UB last night. I'm on the button with about $2800, Blinds are $20/$40. Folded to cutoff who limps, I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and riase it $120. SB folds, BB re-reaises to $420. Cutoff folds, and it's back to me for another $300. I call the $300 - Question 1: Should I have laid it down? What would your thought process be here if you could/would lay it down?
The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The BB leads out with a pot sized bet. Question 2: What would this bet mean to you? Did he re-raise with a middle pair, and hopes the Q is a scare card for me?
Question 3: You've got top pair with top kicker. Flat calling (in my opinon) is not an option. Any meaningful raise will pot commit me, so it's either push or fold. What do you do?
Results shortly...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: I need help with AQo!!! Hand from last nights $200 +$15 on UB.

I push in this situation because I'm fairly certain I'm best here with that flop, although I'm nearly certain you're going to say he had either A2 or KK and had you beat.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:09 AM

I laydown AQ here. this is read dependent too, the problem is, this is early in the tournament and it's not like he's re-stealing from you. you hit your best possible flop aside from hitting 2 queens but you still have the itching suspicion he has KK or AA.

your initial raise indicates a degree of strength, say midpp-AA, and AQ-AK. or even QK. he re-raises that to a point to if you call you've got about 20% of your chips in the middle, you hit your flop and he bets into you.

what do you put him on? is he firing a continuation bet? if he really does have AA-KK, does he play the re-raise in this fashion?

I say he has jacks and is hoping the flop didn't hit you. could be wrong but that's my read [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] let me know how it went
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 AM

i would be willing to go broke here. i think the best way to do it is to call the flop. if you're ahead, villain has at most 3 outs, so give him a chance to bluff of the rest of his chips with AK if he missed completely. push the turn if he checks.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 AM

bingo
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 AM

I think this is very depenedent on who the rearaiser is. If the guy is a rock I lay it down PF as AQ is a hand that can get you in a very difficult spot especially wthout deep stacks.

When making my decision PF I always consider the fact especially ON UB what am I going to do when I call and he hits the favorite button ( BET POT ).

I have no room to manuever and unless you flopp 2 QQ, a str8, or AQ you are left with an extremely difficult decision.

If the villain is extremely loose raising a lot of hands then I may decide to go with it and hope this isn't the one time he has a real hand but normally I don't call reraises to my raise with AQ especially against aggressive post flop players where I know I'm going to be faced witha very difficult decision.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The BB leads out with a pot sized bet. [b]Question 2: What would this bet mean to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means theres a pot sized bet button on UB, and most people dont knw what to bet, so they hit that button. Once you called preflop, you have to push this flop.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 PM

why is pushing better than calling? the only reason i see is that if villain has something like 88 he's more likely to call a push now than if a J hits on the turn.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is pushing better than calling? the only reason i see is that if villain has something like 88 he's more likely to call a push now than if a J hits on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you WANT him to lay it down in that case on any street?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM

never mind, I'm an idiot