Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 04:05 AM

Default New to multis?

I've just started playing multis online, I'm usually a sit and go and cash game player. I'm finding I'm having trouble buidling any kind of chipstack and when I am able to keep up with the average stack, a bad beat takes me out ALWAYS. I'm good enough to make sure I get my money in there with the edge almost all the time and I def don't take unneccesary risks; but I'm still coming up short. To win one of these things do you just have to pretty much get lucky at a key time or am I missing something. I feel like although I make all the right decisions all the time I still am losing; and I know that Sklansky says everyone gets the same amount of bad and good cards in the long run but Holy Hell lol. Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: New to multis?

[ QUOTE ]
a bad beat takes me out ALWAYS. I'm good enough to make sure I get my money in there with the edge almost all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue. When you accept that, the learning can begin. Read all the anthology stickies. They are real good.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 AM

You have to get lucky at some points basically. I think I've only ever won one MTT where I looked back and thought there were no hair raising moments or points where I got lucky. In that instance I managed to get a big stack early on and just hold onto it and be the chip leader on my table most of the way through. That isn't the norm though. Usually I'm ducking and weaving my way to the money, and for that you need things to go your way a the right time. Variance is high in MTT's so it can take a long time to get a big win.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 AM

There's so much hidden luck in MTT's it's disgusting. It takes an awful lot of luck to win one of these things, and almost all of it is hidden luck. You need to be controling everything you can optimally, and have everything you cannot control go optimally.

Seriously, tournament poker is gross. Try not to get frusterated, your day will come.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 AM

I really don't understand (Ansky)what you are saying here. I'm not saying that I never mistakes, because I do; however when I do make the right decisions, I'm still coming up short. I definitly agree with the other posts about alot of luck being involved, esp. with today's growing fields. You get alot more loose callers and thus alot more bad beats. I understand this but what you said about the learning can begin??
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 AM

This is how I made my first FT last week. Ive come real close many many times. I got a stack early and was chip leader for a while till there was like 30 left and never got in a bad situation which I guess this was my Luck. Im not aggressive enough late and I think thats a HUGE key.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 AM

I m also new.
Can you elaborate on the variance?
what is a good itm percentage?

i watch a few of the good players play online. I am a suprised at their willingness to offer and take coin flips. I guess thats where the luck comes in. it is gambling after all. correct me if i m wrong.