Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM

Default $33: When to steal?

I am having a bit of difficulty with how agressive to get when we're not quite to the bubble. Would this have been a good stealing opportunity or is patience the name of the game here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

MP (t2590)
Hero (t910)
Button (t1710)
SB (t1320)
BB (t1005)
UTG (t465)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>

Hero pushes to steal?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: $33: When to steal?

Not a terrible opportunity. Have not calculated ICM, but SB and BB definitely do not want to lose right now. Button does not want to lose more than half his stack, so they won't call without real cards. I think it is a good opportunity.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM

It really depends on how you've characterized the players to act behind you. In general, the ideal steal attempts are targeted at weak-tight players with MEDIUM stacks after you've shown some good hands. We aren't always blessed with this circumstance though.

A type of "steal" I find very effective at a short table is a big raise/push from the BB after one or two limpers. Most people are not trappy and limps at short tables are typically very indicative of weakness. This works especially well if just the small blind has completed but of course, you're not "stealing" as many chips.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't push this; seems far too thin on the old EV to me, and you're by no means desperate. From the button, I would think about it. From the CO I would fold.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:12 PM

I pass this
Old 12-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I lean on folding, the blinds just aren't worth it in relation to your stack.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 PM

I also fold.

Lately I've been learning the hard way that the number of people left in a tourney has a greater affect on people's tightness than the size of the blinds relative to their stack.

With 6 left here, some of those left to act probably aren't yet thinking about folding into the money.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the input. After considering the input and thinking about it, I also think passing here is correct given the size of the blinds and the number of players left.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am having a bit of difficulty with how agressive to get when we're not quite to the bubble. Would this have been a good stealing opportunity or is patience the name of the game here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

MP (t2590)
Hero (t910)
Button (t1710)
SB (t1320)
BB (t1005)
UTG (t465)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>

Hero pushes to steal?

[/ QUOTE ]

sngpt says it's -EV even if their calling range is as tight as:
22+,A7s+,A9o+,KTs+,KJo+