Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Best way to play for a bad player

Okay this may sound like somewhat of a rediculas question, but lets assume a bad player has to play with $100. Assuming he knows the rules and isnt absolutely horrible just isnt typically a winning player, what would be the best route for him to take do you think? I would think that certainly a cash game would probably not be for this player. But perhaps a tournament or the steps on PP. If you had to tell a player that normally loses how to spend his $100 what route would you tell him to go. And lets leave out the obvious responses like "he shouldnt be playing anyways" lets just assume he has to.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Best way to play for a bad player

Online micro-limits.

With $100 he can comfortably play at the .10/.20 tables and will stand a decent chance of improving his game before he loses his bankroll.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:12 PM

Okay that definitely makes sense but thats not really what i was looking for. Lets put another stipulation on the situation. Assume that the player has only one week to play and must make at least $500 from his $100 or give all the money back, then what would you tell the player to do?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:17 PM

To turn 100 to 500 in a week is a bad idea even for a good player I think.
Poker is not a game for the impatient.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay that definitely makes sense but thats not really what i was looking for. Lets put another stipulation on the situation. Assume that the player has only one week to play and must make at least $500 from his $100 or give all the money back, then what would you tell the player to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say, in that case, that his absolute best chance would be to play freezout MTTs - probably $10 buy ins or something like that - he could get lucky in one of them and win all the money he needs.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Play the smallest micro limits youc an find, the competition will be so weak it will keep him afloat (aka even at worst).

Also play UBER tight, I'm thinking VPIP of 12-15%.

Doesn't matter how bad the player is, if he folds every single hand except monsters it's hard for him to lose money fast.

He can just assume a rockish mentality at first, and will still probably be profitable due to the crappiness of the opposition.

He could play on $100 along time... probably never get anywhere, but be able to play forever.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 PM

Assuming he is playing online one should make sure this player is always clearing bonuses while playing.

Another route would be to play extreme (or better yet, ultra extreme) turbos where luck begins to dominate skill (that he may lack)
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM

If he's loose and aggressive he should play MTT's. If he's passive he should play ring games and should play tight. If he likes to gamble it up I'd say tournaments.

-f
Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are blackjack and craps out? Seems better than trying to force a bad player to try to hit big at poker.

That said, if he's not a winning player, I think he's best-off at a 10/20 limit table where he has enough for the minimum buy-in and he'll be riding almost pure variance. When you're trying to get the best results for a loser, you want to up variance as high as you can.

There's no way to increase his EV enough to make a real difference in getting to $500 in a week. Just make it as much of a gamble as possible.

2nd
Old 10-01-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are blackjack and craps out? Seems better than trying to force a bad player to try to hit big at poker.

That said, if he's not a winning player, I think he's best-off at a 10/20 limit table where he has enough for the minimum buy-in and he'll be riding almost pure variance. When you're trying to get the best results for a loser, you want to up variance as high as you can.

There's no way to increase his EV enough to make a real difference in getting to $500 in a week. Just make it as much of a gamble as possible.

2nd

[/ QUOTE ]

well put