Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 10-15-2002, 07:05 PM

Default California License Plates

I used to live in California, and still go back every few months.

License plates on cars (non-vainity) go #AAA###, where #=0-9, A=a-z, and go in sequential order (so 2ABC123 is just after 2ABC122). My singular goal in life is to see something that goes 5xxxxxx, and we're real close. I saw a 4YKxxxx last weekend.

Is there anyway to say, just from observing plates if the elusive "5-Plates" are on the road yet? My gut is yes, California is so huge, just my seeing 4YK means that the 5's must be out there.

Rereading, this is just the dark-room problem restated, correct?
Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 AM

Default Re: California License Plates

Yup, it's the dark room problem with new people entering all the time! How many license plates did you observe? Does anyone live in California?

Old 10-16-2002, 09:54 AM

<giggle>

I know that mathematicans don't like to make unwarranted assumptions, but "Does anyone live in California?" seems like a safe question to guess at.

PP
Old 10-16-2002, 11:37 AM

"Does anyone live in California?"
Some regions are highly populated.

Old 10-16-2002, 04:21 PM

Default Lol

Ok, do any of the readers of this forum live in CA?

-------------

Two mathematicians, M1 and M2, are traveling in New Zealand, M1 sees 100 black sheep in a field, and the following conversation occurs:

M1:"That's a lot of black sheep. I guess there is a higher percentage of black sheep in New Zealand."

M2:"Well, one field of black sheep is hardly a random sampling."

M1:"Ok, I guess we can only conclude that at least one farmer has a lot of black sheep."

M2:"At least one farmer has a lot of sheep that are black on at least one side [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"

Old 10-16-2002, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Lol

I live in CA, I haven't seen any 5's but I mostly watch the letters.

Craig
Old 10-18-2002, 05:09 AM

Default license plate poker

have any of you ever played poker games in your head with license plates?

i have modified an old license plate game i used to play to make it a poker game. not really a game, but a fun way to look at plates. i am a geek.

the old way was to assign the letters of the alphabet a number 1-9 based on a modulo-9 numbering sequence, based on their position in the alphabet. a=1, b=2... i=9, j=10-9=1, k=11-9=2... basically, whatever position they were in the alphabet, you took the digits of that number, and added them together to make a number 1-9. then you add up all the numbers and letters on the plates and keep adding the digits until you get a number 1-9. then that number was assigned to that vehicle.

example plate: JXP 179

(J)1+(X)6+(P)7+1+7+9 = 22 = 4

well, i use this same system to assign letters number values, and then i look for poker hands. exceptions are T,J,K,Q,A which stand respectively for ten, jack, queen, king, ace (obviously). i find a lot of straights (seems like that would be the case, huh?) obviously there are no flushes. this works for stud8. look for best high and best low hands at red lights. i can assess almost every vehicle i pass when i drive 90mph, thats how quick it comes into my head.

anyways, im kind of a geek, sometimes. it might not be bearly as fun for you all. its not even THAT fun for me, but something to occupy my brain, so i don't think about the girl thats not in love with me, or whatever.