Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: nature of man- siegfried rambles

most of your arguments (at least most of the guys on this forum) are not very logical at all. some of them make me think a bit, but most of them are in reality quite illogical and not compelling. the narrow thinking and inability to even question basic philosophical issues is appalling. it is foolish to be arrogant, condescending, to patronize, etc when you know very little. most of you are merely products of your times, culture, etc, which conditions you entirely- yet you still love to fantasize how you are original, free and independent thinkers.

(not directed at you, in particular, hashi! just my general impressions of this forum. and of course, there are some who are fairly intelligent and reasonably decent at thinking well. on the whole, though, i am quite disappointed.)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 PM

My theory is that to be a truly independent thinker you either have to be extremely intelligent (beyond IQ tests and SAT scores), or be at least moderately intelligent and have lived in at least 2 different cultures for at least 2 years each. It also helps if you had to earn your own way from a young age.

You seem angry that most people do not live up to your standards. I'd just accept it as a fact of life if I were you and seek out those few people who do.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 PM

no need for hostility. i dont recall saying anything about psychotic dreams. how are they 'psychotic'. the things you believe are clearly untrue to anyone with a sound mind. i would not say you are 'psychotic', but clearly you are very much deceived.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM

who is not living up to my standards? i am no genius. mostly i am upset by others who are not, yet fancy themselves so.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:34 AM

I did not mean only intellectually not living up to your standards, but rather character-wise. Besides, one could argue that recognizing how far you can go with your own thoughts while expecting to be taken seriously is an important component of intelligence, even if it's not measured on SATs and IQ tests.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:28 AM

yeah i guess so
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 AM

did i say something dumb. im sorry
Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM

nah you seem alright