Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: closest game to poker, skill v. luck

The Chinese game of Mahjog.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the name of that game where you have a tower of wooden blocks and you have to take them away one at a time and place them on top? i think that would be pretty close.

or backgammon or risk of course..

but not football, a good team would slaughter a very bad one, no matter what..

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot the NL player :-)
(the game is jenga)
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say closest traditional game would be bridge, but there's this collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering which I think is pretty close to poker when looking at short time luck vs playing skill for any longer perioid of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

A weak deck really doesn't have much of a chance vs a strong deck in magic. Strong decks are just tweaked too perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i stupidly sat down HU with a guy who turned out to be a complete shark ... he destroyed me. Guess he had a strong deck
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Stratego playable online?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears so. Here are two sites I've found (but not tried):
Site 1
Site 2

There are probably others.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree- how many no-names come out and beat the top pros in a PGA event such as the US Open?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:14 PM

I CANT BELIEVE you asked this unless its a definate troll piece. What has this to do with Poker Theory? Next time how bout using the general sub-thread yes? I do have an answer tho, the closest thing is when you THINK your playing poker BUT your NOT cuz those morons playing those 2-7o for 1 bet are getting there and sucking out on your slix! The game is EVEN BETTER when they atart banging you (raising) everytime they see a 4 flush or an open ended straight or something like that! Hehehehe Yep, without a doubt that is the closest thing, the 2nd game is WHEN U START PLAYING THE SUCKING OUT HANDS!! Lol, but then again someone remind me if thats a game at all??

Thirdly.......We should all get beat up just for answering this post.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree- how many no-names come out and beat the top pros in a PGA event such as the US Open?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you consider a no-name. Besides, you're only playing 72 holes in golf vs 30 hands/hr in poker. The sample size (number of holes) cannot be made big enough to identify the best player easily. Why do you think the big names never make it to the final of the match play tourneys?

There is a significant amount of luck in the game of golf. Playing around scratch for over 20 years has allowed me to identify that.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you consider a no-name. Besides, you're only playing 72 holes in golf vs 30 hands/hr in poker. The sample size (number of holes) cannot be made big enough to identify the best player easily. Why do you think the big names never make it to the final of the match play tourneys?

There is a significant amount of luck in the game of golf. Playing around scratch for over 20 years has allowed me to identify that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of golf in that manner before (I don't play- not enough contact or running around :P )
I assumed, based on what I'd read on previous golf-poker comparisons, that the skill level was MUCH more of a factor than poker.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 AM

Gammon is pretty close, as is Bridge.

Possibly Magic: The Gathering, though the luck factor is significantly higher.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say closest traditional game would be bridge, but there's this collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering which I think is pretty close to poker when looking at short time luck vs playing skill for any longer perioid of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dumped about $500 on MTG online in the last 2 months, and I can tell you with a reasonable degree of confidence that superior players triumph more often in draft format tournaments than a superior poker player does at limit holdem, because I am a pretty unskilled MTG player and I think I lose more often than the fish do at my tables. In a sealed deck format there is no draft skill involved, so I (the horrible player) have a better shot against the sharks.

2nd