Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Default 180 SNG on stars

These are closer to MTT so posting here. I had early luck in them, but this last month cannot get to a FT... Anyonehaving a lot of luck in them? care to share some tips?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 180 SNG on stars

Play poker well and accept the nature of variance.

This is as specific an answer as anyone can give you for these very general questions. Post hands. Smart guys will hand you wisdom hidden beneath disdain.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Smart guys will hand you wisdom hidden beneath disdain.

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't that the truth.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM

One word: Goldmine.

Advice: Just stay patient and play solid poker.

The play is very loose for the first 90 minutes, so it is not a good idea to get fancy - your elaborate three-street semi-bluff will get called by bottom pair. The up-side of this ist hat when you do catch a hand you can really lay the whip to it - you will get paid off.

As you near the bubble, let your inner LAG out. People are terrified of busting out before the money, so you can really build a stack by raising in position, and if you have a half-decent hand, re-raising all-in. Your FE at this point is huge. This is especially true if there are a couple of stacks on life-support, so keep an eye on the standings in the lobby. The guy with 12BB will need a monster to play back at you if shorty at the next table has 2BB.

Tighten up again after the bubble bursts. Take shorty's "Whew I'm in the money, now I can bust" chips if you have a hand, but quit raising with cheese.

At the FT, LAG it up again, esp. if you have a big stack. The play is really, really tight here, and you can build a big stack whether or not you get any cards.

Good luck,

Sam
Old 12-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Dogger,

Play as many as you can until the end of the year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Agreed on the goldmine part.

I can't believe how horrid the first couple levels are played. I often find I either get busted early or really generate a big stack early picking off some semi-poor play.

Patience is the key as well. They aren't SNG's, they are MTT's. You need to not get desperate. You can't win this in the 2-hours you can win the multi-table SNG's. You need to play good poker for 4 hours so make sure that don't lose focus.

Brad
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I often find I either get busted early or really generate a big stack early.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. My sample size is absurdly low but..

Of the first 13 180's I played my best was 44th (Forty fourth!)

The 14th, I won and went from ROI=-100% to ROI 346%

I'll probably bust out of the money in the next 15 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Is the play in these any different than any other stars $20 tourney?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 PM

I just started playin on stars again this last week and have already gotten a 1st, 2nd, and 7th in these. Just play solid early on there's quite a few fish. Later on, especially on the bubble and even into the money, play is extremely tight and exploitable at least in my experiences.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 AM

i thought they got tight closing in on FT... down to 13 and all in almost every hand.. been reraise 2x all in... but good news is closing in on final table