Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 AM

Default another newbe

Hi everyone! I know you don't know me, however, I have been reading the 2+2 forms ever since I came upon the book SSHE! This was the best thing that could have happened to be, as I don't have anyone to discuss plays, strategies, or anything about poker. I have learned so much just from reading the post. I admire everyone that post here and their willingness to help those of us that are much less fortunate in their ability as poker players.

I learned about PT here, also, and I am in the beginning stages of trying to learn how to use it. I only have a little over 2k hands recorded on PT and I know that is not enough stats to really tell anything about where I am making the most mistakes, however, I would really appreciate any help or suggestions anyone may have. I seem to be taking one step forward and about fifteen backwards, or something like that, I just know something is very wrong.

Here are what stats that I have, again, I know 2k hands are not really worth discussing, but I would really appreciate some help on what I need to work on... VP$IP 19.44, VP$ISB 34.73, W$SF 29.59, WTSD 32.26, W$SD 47.51, PFR 3.22, BB/100 -2.56.

I finally figured out the hand converter, so I will post a hand that I played this evening. The entire table turned over in about one orbit, therefore, I don't have a good read on SB. What hands I saw him play he was somewhat loose and aggressive... sorry, I don't have any more information than that.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Sorry about the long post and I thank you for taking the time to read it. Please forgive me for all of the mistakes I made in making this post... it is my first... thanks!!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: another newbe

I just call down after SB leads the turn; he has shown a lot of strength this hand (unless he's a total maniac, in which case you played this hand correctly). You'll be good here enough of the time that you should call down.

-Gravy
Old 12-18-2005, 01:30 AM

the raise button is your friend(in general, a 3PFR is very bad) you most likely are way too passive with AJ, AT, KJ, 99, 88, 77, QJ, and don't open up enough with position

the turn raise might be too much
Old 12-18-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VP$IP 19.44, VP$ISB 34.73, W$SF 29.59, WTSD 32.26, W$SD 47.51, PFR 3.22, BB/100 -2.56.

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 hands is way too early but...
You're a little too tight for my taste...22 VPIP would be better. You may be missing some potentially profitable hands in multi-way pots (suited connectors, small pairs, etc.)
W$SD seems to say you're seeing too much crap to the river.
BB/100 hurts, but what can you do.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Line on this hand looks standard. Raise AA pre-flop without a really good reason not to. With this many people in the pot, gotta raise and make the pot big and juicy.

Looks like he picked up a K on the turn. Whether that's two-pair or one, you gotta push it. It's terribly passive for villain if he has two pair. He may not have picked up a K as he could be a complete donkey, betting at a slightly scary card.

With aces, bet your ass off, unless there's more profit to be made another way. Very few at .50/1 will put you on AA. And even if they do, they'll call you down to see them (because they're pretty?)

NH -- and keep reading SSHE. It's gold.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:47 AM

You need to raise preflop much more, up to around 8-9. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 AM

Thanks, ChuckyB, I appreciate your input very much. I have been fighting my apprehension over playing the very hands you mentioned. I didn't know if I was being to tight, or what, but I know that you are right about your observation.

Also, I feel like when I do get a good hand I go overboard and play to aggressive. That was the reason for the hand I posted. I had four other hands tonight that I over did it like I did with this one and ended up loosing everything I had gained.

I, also, thought that SB was playing a little passive to have anything really threading and that was why I kept firing at him. Thank you so much for your input, I really do appreciate it!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 02:09 AM

Thank you!
You are right, I do need to work on raisng more perflop. I have a hard time with it, for some reason, but I will work on it.... Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 02:12 AM

Thank you! You guys are right on... you nailed a big hole and something I have been struggling with. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Thanks!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 AM

Thank you! This was what I was wondering about if I should have slowed down after the turn. He put a big hurt on me, and covered up his trips very well!! (pocket 3's) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 02:40 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for your input. I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely began work on them immediately!