Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Art\'s little hand of the week.

5 handed, UTG Raises, Button calls, I call in the BB with K8s

UTG is kinda neutral, think 35/18 I guess, not out of line, not the smartest player though. Button is fishy and loose, not totally out of line though. He can get scared in certain situations.

Flop is 456 rainbow, one suit of mine.

I check, UTG bets, Button raises, I 3-bet.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Art\'s little hand of the week.

That I don't understand it, and am interested to know what your motivation is.

Are you going for the "he's the BB so that could've hit him" mumbo jumbo (and hoping you're not against a PP, set or not)?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:15 PM

I think I would like it better HU. This is the type of play that I never make and maybe should learn to do.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Interesting. The only reason I can think of for the 3 bet is to knock UTG out to potentially buy some outs, and maybe get a free card from the scared guy if it gets heads up although that might be a stretch. I don't think we're ahead of button. I also don't think he's folding to a turn bet. I don't think we're clearing up outs often against UTG, more often than not he doesn't have a king.

I'd just coldcall unless there's some other reason I haven't thought about.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 PM

First you should be putting both villians on a hand range thus far.

I like this play because we're folding anything but a higher pocket pair for the UTG, and we have a good chance of convincing the button the check through the turn again.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 PM

Pot seems a tad small to do it but I don't mind it. Raising is definitely superior to calling here. Folding still may be best though, getting just 4.5:1 to continue -- but you have some decent equity in this pot esp. if you can get UTG out.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this play because we're folding anything but a higher pocket pair for the UTG, and we have a good chance of convincing the button the check through the turn again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Since their ranges are so wide, I'll have to do some playing around to be able to measure the strength of K8 here. "Loosey buttons" do play K6 sometimes ... is he this loosey at your stakes?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 PM

I'd love to buy those K outs, and I think UTG will fold everything bar MAYBE AK, I'm not sure, he probably peels with that, but even KQ he might not feel comfortable with.

I think it just hinges on a theory that certain players will check-behind on turns, thus even out of position we can still influence how our villians will play. It is kind of read dependant, but for any normal party player, seeing a check-3-bet is pretty scary and its unlikely the button has a strong enough hand to bet the turn again UI.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:26 PM

If there's even doubt as to whether UTG is folding AK here then I would just muck it. I kinda inferred from the read that he was auto-dumping it but this might not be the case.

The inducing-turn-check-behinds is interesting but I don't have any experience in this game so I can't say for sure.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:27 PM

So folding costs 0 bets. How much extra equity do you think buying K outs & folding UTG gets you here? Enough to make *on average* more than your investment (which could be 3.25 bets if button ever caps)?