Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM

Default The Check-Raise

For the most part, the check-raise is a pretty strong move. In optimum position at the perfect time, a check-raise can gain many more bets from a multi-way pot when your hand is strong.

It can also get your opponent(s) to fold a better hand in a short-handed pot.

Being the check-raiser can be both exciting and profitable. The rush of trying to pull off a big bluff or semi-bluff on the turn, or the satisfaction of getting more value for your monster hand when the time is just perfect.

However, being on the other end of a check-raise sucks balls. How often do you respect it? In general, what hands are we against when check-raised? Two pair? A set? Nothing at all?

Regardless of the opponent, from my experience, the check-raise forces us to think... more. Rarely is it a stone-cold bluff, even from a maniac. A maniac would rather raise, raise, raise as opposed to being tricky.

I personally don't think that I respect the check-raise enough. I always figure my opponent is trying to make a move on me, and subsequently go into call-down mode.

Instead, I would rather drop my hand or make a stand, but I'm normally unsure as to which decision is best. Therefore, I have a few questions:

1. Do you respect the check-raise for the most part?

2. Does it matter what street it occurs upon (Flop, Turn, River)?

3. What hands do you figure you're up against when check-raised (at minimum two pair, made flush etc)?

My main concern is while holding top pair with no other draws... These situations always get me. It usually doesn't matter whether or not I have a good kicker, 'cause I still only have "one pair".

Of course, table dynamics come into play, as well as whether or not it is a heads up or multi-way pot, but I think the supposed strength of a check-raise regardless of the circumstances deserves attention.

Feel free to elaborate, and thanks for your time.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: The Check-Raise

I don't assume any specific hand value when I get checkraised. Rather, I try to think what my opponent would think I have, and I figure his hand beats that. Ie. I raise 88 UTG and the flop comes 752. One of the blinds checkraises me. I figure he thinks that I have A-high and therefore he's either trying to push me off the A-high, or he's telling me he has A-high beat. On the other hand, if I raise UTG with AQ and the flop comes AK3 and I get checkraised on the turn, I figure he thinks I have TP, as AKx flops hit most raising hands, so he's telling me he has TP beat. Of course, there are donks who don't even consider what I might have; they only look at their cards and say "wow, I have TP, I need to checkraise". I've been checkraised by TPNK when I 3-bet or 4-bet preflop when it should have been really obvious that TP was no good.

As for the questions:
1) It depends who it's coming from. Unless I'm against a really aggressive player, I usually respect a checkraise (especially on later streets) enough to not 3-bet a marginal holding, but a lot of the time not enough to fold (unless the player is really passive).
2) Flop checkraises mean a lot more than turn checkraises, which mean more than river checkraises. I see the check/call, check/raise bluff enough in the PP 20/40 that I don't have too much respect for it on the turn. Let's say in a hand, action on the previous streets has already let my opponent know that I like my hand, and he checkraises the river. If I have the read that he knows I'm not folding, then it has to be for value, so I should be folding, at least some of the time, to avoid being exploitable.
3) See the first paragraph.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Flop checkraises mean a lot more than turn checkraises, which mean more than river checkraises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting - would you care to explain your reasoning further?

I play at 2/4 & 3/6. IMO this is not the case there.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:42 AM

When Im evaluating a check raise I look at a few things. First is who the move is being made by. If its made by a weak player who doesnt understand the game fully Ill give him credit for a pretty big hand. Weak players dont consider building a pot and keeping hopeless hands in. They flop the nut straight and boom! checkraise.

If its made by a strong player you have a lot more to consider. I think you can tell a lot about what he is really telling you with his check raise by what the move accomplishes(or attempts).

Consider a strong early position player who checks and the field of 4 check to the button who bets. If EP check raises you can bet he doesnt have a monster here. More likely some type of weak made hand that he doesnt want a lot of company with. He may also be trying to just pick this pot up on the turn.

If the player traps several opponents for a bet before he springs into action then I start to consider the board. If there is a lot of draws out I tend to put him on some sort of draw and raising for value with all the callers sure to call one more. I also tend to think that with a lot of draws out he would want to protect a made hand since a free card would be a disaster.

If the board is very uncoordinated then you have to put him on some kind of monster(set most likely) that he wants to build a pot with and has little fear of a free card.

Of coarse there is no rigid set of rules that you can live by especially in a sticky situation like being check raised, but these are just a few things that I consider.

If that made any sense. I guess I should be sleeping.