Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Quality of players at WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Having watched some of it on ESPN, I am amazed how similar many of the players are to the fish I see on Party MTTs every night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, many of the players ARE the fish you see on Party Poker.

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought the WSOP was a place for only the best.

[/ QUOTE ]
The WSOP has always been a place for anyone with the buy-in.

The difference between then and now is that then, an ordinary guy had to be a sucker to put up $10,000 to play poker with the biggest sharks in the world. Now there are so many ordinary guys with the buy-in (either winning it or out of pocket) that they vastly outnumber the "best," skewing the odds.

The WSOP should consider raising the buy-in, at least for the main event.

That guy with the JT was a big donkey, and his actions after his "bad beat" bugged me more than Hellmuth ever could.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM

you mean that in a field of almost 6000 poker players they aren't all good??

heavens to betsy!!!

FWIW - I was eliminated on day 1a (at Johnny Chan's table as many of you know). 6 of the players on my table were reasonable ranging from weak-passive to pretty darned aggressive...but still reasonably tricky.
one guy made two awful slow-plays with AA.
one guy accumulated 50k in chips by the time i was eliminated with some bad plays (including a big re-raisem, maybe all-in, after 4 or 5 cold-callers, with 77).

The guy on my immediate right was just plain freaking bad. Made terrible decisions in almost every hand he was involved in.

Also FWIW - I don't think that crappy players in the WSOP is something that only started this year.
In the past several years there have been quite a few players who entered even though they knew they were dead-money.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:45 PM

I was eliminated on the final level (7 I think) of day 1a, here are my thoughts:

The caliber of players at my table ranged from weak to very weak. The most common type of player was weak-tight. Probably half the players at my initial table fit into this category. Two players really had no idea how to play poker and the remaining three were "TAG-light".

As the day progressed, better players began coming to the table and by the end of the night, the competition was getting tougher. I found myself with fewer stealing opportunities and I think I may have pressed too hard when I got in there.

I think it's generally accepted that the WSOP ME is the weakest field in poker and I saw nothing to make me think otherwise.

Edit: BTW Bob, which seat are you in at Chan's table?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one guy made two awful slow-plays with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd have asked him if he won his seat at Party.

[ QUOTE ]
Also FWIW - I don't think that crappy players in the WSOP is something that only started this year.
In the past several years there have been quite a few players who entered even though they knew they were dead-money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. It's just that until about three years ago the pros still outnumbered the dead money, but now the dead money has the odds on its side.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM

What is TAG-light? Can you give an example of how s/he would play a hand? Just curious.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 PM

I saw plenty of horrific play at my starting table too - it just convinces me that the WSOP ME has enough prestige to it that suckers put up the 10k or somehow win a seat, where they never would if it were some other 10k event. 2 guys really stuck out in my mind. One didn't play a hand til near the end of round 1, and then he opened a pot all-in for his ~10k. After everyone folded he showed AA. Then 10 minutes later there was an UTG limp for 50, followed by this guy again raising all-in. UTG calls, showing AKs, and the raiser flips AA. That play stuck out in my mind, but 4-5 others were just as bad with different styles. Only 2-3 other players on my table had any idea how to play solid no limit poker.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is TAG-light? Can you give an example of how s/he would play a hand? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are basically TAGs (Tight-Aggressive) but they basically play ABC poker, never open from early position without a premuim hand, and are generally reluctant to bluff or semi-bluff. They tend to be aggressive preflop, not as much postflop.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: BTW Bob, which seat are you in at Chan's table?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the one standing up near seat 4 (or 5?) and talking on the phone at the beginning of that episode.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are basically TAGs (Tight-Aggressive) but they basically play ABC poker, never open from early position without a premuim hand, and are generally reluctant to bluff or semi-bluff. They tend to be aggressive preflop, not as much postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me all the way! lol.

no, seriously...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, I think I know the type. That was me a year ago. But I still don't open EP w/o a premium hand - and I don't think many 2+2ers do either.