Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Party SNG\'s

Understood, but I said "more of a crapshoot" - I didn't say total crapshoot. While skilled players still have an edge in Party's SNGs, they have a bigger edge in a bigger stack tournament with a slower blind structure.

I think most winning Party SNGers would agree that, if Party suddenly started using Stars' SNG structure, their ROI% would likely go up. Although their total earnings would go down due to the longer time spent on each tourney, and total earnings is the name of the game.

Taking your "craps tournament" analogy... say you play 2 tournaments, and in both you still bet pass line only, and your opponent still bets any seven. But lets say one tournament lasts 5 rolls, and the other 500. Which one are you most likely to win?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Party SNG\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like to have as much time as possible with deeper stacks because that's where I have the biggest edge, so my hourly rate is higher in those tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very, very much doubt that this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although you have every reason to doubt, my personal experience supports that it is possible to lose at Party and win at the deepstack SNG's.

I think the reason we win at party is partly because the fish do not see that the blinds are huge and the stacks are small and we start out the tournament almost desperately short stacked.

All the literature that a player can find, except for here, Favors a tighter playing style. A playing style that you can not afford at party.

When I started keeping records I found that I was making my online money (not much of it) at UB SNG's. So I played more of them and had a positive ROI.

I tried party but I could not win.

I was more or less able to figure out how to beat UB on my own, or by reading standard poker books. It was not until I found this forum that I was able to beat the Party format.

A party SNG is like a UB SNG on speed, and coke. It goes 4 times as fast. If the original poster reads the FAQ and the aleo-magus guide and posts some hands he will come to favor the party format. Until then he will be frustrated.

I hated them till I learned to beat them.