Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Default ($33 or $55) Emergency push any 2?

Scenario:

Last hand of lvl. 5, blinds are 75/150. I have 720 chips under the gun 5-handed. The blinds go up next hand, and once they're done with me I'll have 420 chips on the button.

Any blind steals thereafter will likely be called in at least one place because at worst they'll have 3:1 odds to call me and knock me out.

So the question is, should I push any 2 cards here? If it's folded around, I'll have 945 chips, just enough to steal on the next round when I'll have 645 chips on 100/200 blinds. If I get called, I'm likely to be a 2:1, maybe 3:1 dog right?

If you wouldn't push any two cards here, what would be your minimum standards? The hand this question came from I pushed T9, then it was folded around. I was thinking though that I probably would have pushed anything.

This comes up ALL the time, please help shed some light.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: ($33 or $55) Emergency push any 2?

You should only do the ALL IN with AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK. Not AQ becase the bad guy can have the AK and you lose.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:23 AM

If you have to start taking -EV moves but still have good folding equity, you should push the next possible hand. Every hand that you wait makes your situation worse since you are in a spot where you should take a small -EV gamble to avoid a big -EV gamble later on. This of course depends on the amount of FE you have, and as it decreases you have to tighten up your pushes. So if you are delt 75o UTG and feel like everyone will only call with say A2+/22+ you should push it (and you feel like going through the blinds will kill your FE). However if you are UTG with exactly the size of the BB (or some small # of chips) you would then fold that 75o and let it ride in the BB with a random hand.

Brad
Old 11-12-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should only do the ALL IN with AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK. Not AQ becase the bad guy can have the AK and you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I don't know if you're just trolling, or you don't understand SNG theory, but this just won't do. When your stack is dwindling and the blinds are large, you have to pick up chips to survive, and can't wait for premium hands a lot of the time.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:32 AM

I thought this post was funny.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:51 AM

I prefer to get the 3rd at least rather than the 4th or even the 5th.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have to start taking -EV moves but still have good folding equity, you should push the next possible hand. Every hand that you wait makes your situation worse since you are in a spot where you should take a small -EV gamble to avoid a big -EV gamble later on. This of course depends on the amount of FE you have, and as it decreases you have to tighten up your pushes. So if you are delt 75o UTG and feel like everyone will only call with say A2+/22+ you should push it (and you feel like going through the blinds will kill your FE). However if you are UTG with exactly the size of the BB (or some small # of chips) you would then fold that 75o and let it ride in the BB with a random hand.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reasoning B-rad.

Yeah I'm pushing a LOT of hands in the situation that ebod described.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:47 AM

Just to give you an example....

You have 1000 chips and everyone else (there are 4 other players) have 2500 chips. The blinds are 100/200 and you are in the CO. Clearly you need to start making some moves at this point.

If you are delt 75o and UTG folds, you are making a .5% mistake by pushing if everyone will call with A2+/22+.

By waiting a hand, you are making a 1.2% mistake by pushing Q5o UTG if everyone calls with the same range. Pushing T8o is a .6% mistake. Pushing J5s is a .8% mistake. The only "random" hands that you are better off with are suited connectors.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to get the 3rd at least rather than the 4th or even the 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how do you plan on doing that if you get blinded off?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:42 AM

BAN!