Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Coaches

I've been thinking about getting a poker coach, but I honestly don't know what to ask. I think if I had them watch my play would probably be better, but I might not be playing how I normally play if someone is looking over my shoulder. I do some self anaylsis, but I'm not too sure what to look at/for. Help!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Coaches

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I had them watch my play would probably be better, but I might not be playing how I normally play if someone is looking over my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, a simple solution is to post hands here. Even better for you is of course if someone is willing to look through a bunch of your hand histories so that you don't have to pick specific hands. Why don't you just ask in this thread and maybe someone will contact you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I honestly don't know what to ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you want a coach?

What don't you like about your game?

See you later,

Dov
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM

You ought to look into TruePoker.com. They offer the Sklansky and Malmuth poker tutorial. Pardon me if I don't remember all the details, but here's the gist of it.

If you sign up for the tutorial, you will be seated at a $3/6 ring game for an hour with a table full of people there for the coaching session. You play (for real money and at full rake, of course) for an hour. The site will then forward the logs for each player to David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth for review and analysis. Probably a week later or so, you'll recieve an analysis of your play as well as the play of your opponents. You'll all be playing under assumed names so you don't have to worry about someone else learning too much about your game. You have to pay a fee of $20 and one hour is an awful small sample size, but it looks like it may be interesting. I can't give a personal testimonial because I don't play at $3/$6.

On a side note, they have some other promotions at TruePoker that are definitely worth looking into. They have new player Sit-N-Go freeroll tournaments that pay cash. You can play up to 4 of these tourneys in your first two weeks on the site. With the top 3 of 9 players making money for nothing, it's worth signing up just for a good shot at the free money. I consider myself to be an above average player at best, and I finished 2nd in two of them, netting an easy 30 bucks for nothing.