Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Default 10/20 General discussion on unimproved AJ

One player limps from EP, I raise from MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and everyone folds to the limper who calls....

Flop comes: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

And the opponent bets into me....
How often is he on a draw?
How often does he have a pair?
Should I raise him for a freecard?
Should I raise him and bet the rest of the hand?
Should I just call him and fold turn if unimproved?

How do YOU act in these situations?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: 10/20 General discussion on unimproved AJ

what's your read on the villian, this read dictates my action in a (common) situation like this. there is no default play.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:32 PM

It's a tough spot and I probably don't do the same thing twice in a row and nothing a majority of the time. In general, I believe you are drawing better than 75% of the time.

Btw, not being patronizing but your English is awesome. Better than a lot of native speakers (which is just begging someone to comb my post for grammatical errors).

- Jim
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do YOU act in these situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have you on overs and be playing you instead of his hand by agro betting. He could be on a draw and agro semi-bluffing. He could have TP.

What's important in spots like this is trying to have some kind of plan for the turn if you continue on the flop, whatever your action is.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:06 PM

This kind of hand shows up ever so often. That's why I was hoping for general advice. But I realize that this situation (like so many other Holdem situations) must me treated differently from time to time. All depending on your opponent, your read on him/her or stats on him/her. But if SA125 is right I'm quite satisfied. I always decide on the flop what this particular opponent might have and then make up my mind for future betting rounds. I'll often go for flopraise/freecard or flopraise/turnbet. Against more passive players (I think these players more often have a pair) I often choose a flopcall/turnfold or turnraise depending on what card shows up on the turn.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Btw, not being patronizing but your English is awesome. Better than a lot of native speakers (which is just begging someone to comb my post for grammatical errors).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! But remember, my native language is Swedish. I try to write as proper English as possible, but errors of all kinds will definitely show up in the future! By the way, 'thanks' is 'tack' in Swedish.

Tack!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 PM

If you didn't know anything about you opponent and were only going to play this 1 hand against him you should probably fold. You aren't a favorite vs. a flush draw, unless you have him dominated.

pokenum -h ad jh - ks 9s -- th 7s 2s
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 7s 2s Th
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ad Jh 450 45.45 540 54.55 0 0.00 0.455
Ks 9s 540 54.55 450 45.45 0 0.00 0.545
Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 PM

my default is to call and fold the turn UI, but that strategy could probably be taken advantage of.

EDIT: against certain players it's "see you at showdown"
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM

I've been thinking a lot about this subject over the night. I guess if you're not able to recognize when your overcards are safe it's probably best to fold...