Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: \"The Dreaded Ace\"?

[ QUOTE ]
You simply cannot fold your PP every time an A shows up. That would be bad poker. Like others have said, this is very situational dependent. But here's a general rule to go by. Put out a probe bet. Chances are, if your opponent doesn't have an A, it will scare him and he will fold. If he calls or reraises, then you know to proceed cautiously.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've found probe bets to be useless at the micro limits. All donks play all aces all the time, so if you have four opponents on the flop, at least one of them has an ace. If you put out a probe bet, the donks with a weak ace won't raise, they'll call, and call, and call. Every time.

Some of the ones who don't have an ace are likely to call as well, since they have no fear of the ace, and fully expect to make their gutshot on the river.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Hi Guthrie, Mikever,
Ah, the two of you have nicely encapsulated my experience.

Against "thinking" opponents I'd be thinking along Mikever's line. And have tried that.

But I seem to run into what Guthrie describes. Hence my frustration with it at the micros. I'd swear thier strategy is "Any ace, any time". I've started to wonder if I should run a sim on that strategy! LOL! (At one time I did run no fold'em sims with an opponent profile of "Any Ace, Any King, and any Pocket Pair" to give me an idea what hands won more than thier fair share in short handed games. Ran the sim for every hand, from heads up to 6 players. Was planning on proping at the time and so was focused on the short handed problem.)

Seems it's random. Sometime you raise, and they even raise you back... and they had like... second pair or something! You think, "What was he thinking? Why was he coming at me?" Other times you'll be thinking "Ah sh't he's got the freakin AKs." and you're 100% correct.

So I've been trying to resolve the issue with some sort of strategy that's concise enough and +EV for multi-tabling, wherein you often don't have good reads. And for the moment I'm not using Poker Tracker + HUD.

So anyway, it seems to be a murky, touchy-feely sort of situation. Guess I should get Poker Tracker and try to see if what I'm doing is working or not.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:25 PM

Guthrie makes a good point. If you have four in the hand when an A comes out, chances are good somebody has it. I might think about checking here if I am in first position and see what action develops. But knowing me, I wouldn't. I would just rather put out a probe bet to get the information I need rather than having to call a small bet not knowing what I'm up against.

I may be going about this all wrong, but if I have JJ, let's say, and A-10-6 rainbow comes out, and I am first to act with three others in the hand, I will put out a bet of maybe half the pot. If I am called, then I will check on the next street and call a very small bet in relation to the pot, and fold anything else.

If I had just checked on the flop, and somebody who is last to act makes a small raise, I'm gonna have to call not knowing if it was a pot stealer or an Ace, and I don't want to be in that situation.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Tapirboy,
Yes, I think I follow. This is the situation DS talks about in places where "Opponent A bets, B calls, and you should get out if you can't beat B, because B made the obvious read and thinks he has it beat already"

Wow, that was wordy. But I think what are essentially saying is, "if the action is heavy, get out".

But here's the thing. Maybe this is the LAG phenomenon some speak of. There are times when it's just been two folks in a pissing/raising contest and niether had anything! LOL!

Anyone else hate when they lay down a winner. LOL!

Anyway, I realize it's all about imperfect info, so chances are we'll never get to a 100% solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

One loose-aggressive at a table isn't that hard to play against. Multiple loose-aggressives who just don't give a f whether or not they lose or win a bundle is suitcase-packing brush time or comatose-level tightness time. With the abundance of table opportunities online and Pokertracker, you shouldn't have a problem avoiding those tables, with time.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Good advice. I used to play PPs much looser than I do now, but I lose a lot less.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put out a probe bet, the donks with a weak ace won't raise, they'll call, and call, and call. Every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is good play or bad play?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM

I can't believe it, but I was going to post exactly what mikever did. Maybe I'm learing things on this site too.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:26 PM

For the sake of the argument, let's run through this scenario. You have KK UTG you raise, and the table fold to the BB with A anything, who calls. Flop comes A72 rainbow. In this situation, I'd slow down and let the BB control the board. You have second pair. Get over yur emotional attachment to KK, because no mater how you feel, there is a card on the board that if paired, can beat you. This is the same hand as if you had 99 and the flop comes 1062 rainbow. Do you get upset then?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:55 PM

imagine this, (tight game)you have been dealt KK in UTG, you raise pre-flop, only 2-3 players call, the flop comes Axx, if SB is in and bet this flop before you, you should FOLD, if he check along with the others, BET and se what happends, if everybody folds to you ,fine you just won the pot, if somone calls that bet, check the turn and if bet into, FOLD, in a loose passive game, be prepeared that anyone could hold the ace without betting in this spot
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM

I curse at the poker gods for not respecting my pocket pair. After that is over, I assess:

1 - how many opponents?
2 - what do I know about these opponents?
3 - what is the action before me?
4 - assuming I'm behind to an Ax villain, do I have any other draw besides the 2 outer for my 3Kings?
5 - how big is the pot (if I'm behind do I have odds to peel for my 2 outer?)

I think that covers it... then I proceed accordingly.

for a more consice answer:
*full table <5/10 and 3 or more callers I'm probably going to get have to muck my KK here.
*Short handed 3/6 or 5/10 and 2 or 3 callers I'm going to open bet and hope to take it down there. If met with resistance I'm probably mucking unless I know something VERY specific about the villain that makes me believe mucking is wrong.

Best Wishes,
FishNChips