Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: A passive set Party 1/2 6-max deepish

Nope. If he's got an overpair, he's gotta think that the combination of your bluffing plus having top pair and thinking you're good is enough for him to call 200 into a 500 pot.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would have pushed the river myself, he's not folding anyway but he might check aces or kings behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a push totally inconsistent with what I'm representing (i.e. a weak made hand)? Check/call on the flop and turn followed by a river push is a huge sign of strength, no? Granted, he may or may not recognize this...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously correct here, but the pot has gotten so big that I doubt he'll be folding aces or kings here most of the time, but I think most people will check them behind very often (what weak made hand can you really have here that calls a bet?)
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM

nh imo.

Either check or push is fine but I like a check if I'm playing tight. With a check, you get to showdown a set letting someone bet it into you.

You're CB's get respect b/c you initially bet the set
You'll be looking at lots of cheap showdowns/check behinds for the rest of the session after they make their "checked set of 5's turn and river after flop reraise"
They'll think twice about coming over the top of your CB.
Less likely you see a bluff on a river when you check.
Weaker hands (KJo and the like) are now a lot easier to play up front with this image. You don't have to worry about getting blown off a weak made hand nearly as much.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Results

Nobody will have guessed what an until-this-hand-not-a-maniac had here-- 7s2s and my hand was way good. He picked a real bad time to exploit his passive image.

Edit to add: I felt like he was trying to play the player and attack my feigned weakness; that's the primary reason I checked it the whole way.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I felt like he was trying to play the player and attack my feigned weakness; that's the primary reason I checked it the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you just didn't say that from the beginning. I mean the flop and turn are pretty standard it's the river that would be the decision on what to do. And it's the decision that is based ultimately on a read whether to push, check, "block" bet to let him bluff. You had a read. You were right. Sweet. Why post this hand?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I felt like he was trying to play the player and attack my feigned weakness; that's the primary reason I checked it the whole way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you just didn't say that from the beginning. I mean the flop and turn are pretty standard it's the river that would be the decision on what to do. And it's the decision that is based ultimately on a read whether to push, check, "block" bet to let him bluff. You had a read. You were right. Sweet. Why post this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I almost never play a set this way even on a drawless board? Its rare to even get in a hand against a stack this deep as people either can't hold onto money or won't stick around and play deep in this game (and the 2/4 to a lesser extent). Maybe its retarded to ever play a set this way; I sure as hell don't know.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 PM

I don't know what could be retarded about going with your read as to the best way of getting villain's money. Read > all.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Out of curiousity, what do you think he puts you on? AT? AQ? In other words, what are you trying to represent by this "weakness"? As villain, I can't imagine pushing this river given your action.

If I were villain, I'd even check behind AA/KK.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, what do you think he puts you on? AT? AQ? In other words, what are you trying to represent by this "weakness"? As villain, I can't imagine pushing this river given your action.

If I were villain, I'd even check behind AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd check behind AA almost every time, too but that doesn't mean villain will. I'm representing a weakish made hand like AT/JT/JJ/99 that just wants to see a showdown. I rarely bluff flop/turn/river but I will do it if that's the sort of hand I put my opponent on and I know he can't take that much heat with it. Similarly, I'll value bet an overpair on every street vs. somebody who cannot fold TPTK and I have good reason to believe that's what he's holding.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 PM

should we note that the timing of your checks might have led the villian to continue his bluff?? hmmm?? should we??

also, good check on river, you might lose less money to higher sets this way /sarcasm