Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Early hand in the Party 500k

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if the AJ misses the board completely?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know you are allowed to fold, right?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM

Some folks are missing the huge implied odds involved here. If you pair your ace and nothing else you obviously have to tread carefully. But if you hit two pair or a flush draw, this may be your chance to double up.

Well worth the call.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some folks are missing the huge implied odds involved here. If you pair your ace and nothing else you obviously have to tread carefully. But if you hit two pair or a flush draw, this may be your chance to double up.

Well worth the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a problem with the "call because of huge implied odds arguement". Your arguement is to call with AJs, hoping to flop two pair or a flush draw, trusting that you will play carefully and not get in trouble if just an ace or jack flops.

If this is the case, then are you also calling with A3s? You can play this the same way as AJs, hoping to flop two pair or a flush draw. In fact this hand is better, because an A3 two pair is better disguised than an AJ two pair, and less vulnerable to straights.

Or how about 97s? Two pair, flush draw, and straight draw.

Or how about 65s?

Are you really going to be calling UTG raises, even if they are miniraises, with weak suited aces, suited two-gappers, or small suited connectors? Or is the secret reason that you are calling with AJs is because you are somewhat seduced by the pretty high cards?

And if you are being seduced by the high cards, then you are certainly risking more than t30.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 AM

Yes I know that we are allowed to fold AJs if it misses the flop. I just find that sometimes I get myself into trouble when I play this hand from early position - which is why I avoid it altogether early.

I think more often than not AJ will miss the flop, which is why I brought up the question about what if it misses. I just don't think the hand is that good in early position.

That being said, I also note that my play is very tight, and that I'm not exploiting early edges, and that I am routinely busting out on AA KK etc. So the reason I ask what do you do if it misses, is because I want to hear if you make a continuation bet, or if you simply check and let it go.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM

you guys waste so much time on this board arguing pointless obvious crap
Old 12-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Solitaire, you give more credit to a PP player than I do. I am not convinced AJs is automatically behind a Level 1 mini-raise from UTG, that is the difference between this hand and the hands you reference. Maybe it is. I'm probably not putting my tourney life at risk with this hand unless I flop a monster or potential monster, but I am willing to splash around a little with it. You can't build your stack if you are unwilling to put chips into the pot (don't get me wrong, I consider myself TAG, I just think folding here is extremely weak).

If UTG is Dan Harrington, I MIGHT fold. As it is with an anonymous PP player early in a tourney, I have to look at this as a spot where I have to risk a small to moderate amount of chips for a potential moderate to large payoff.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM

PokerNewbie,

Continuation bet after calling a UTG mini-raise? I think you need to review what a continuation bet is and when to use it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 PM

I call this raise with AJs 100% of the time, from any position.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerNewbie,

Continuation bet after calling a UTG mini-raise? I think you need to review what a continuation bet is and when to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant opening the pot with AJ and then continuing to bet half the pot on the flop. I apologize for being unclear.

Tks,
PN
Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM

folding that turn is downright criminal

c/r allin. if he gives you a free card, np, river the nuts.