Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Default AA...limp or raise late in a MTT on PP?

First post...be gentle. Been playing on PP for 6 months and have recently discovered the charm of MTT. I'm learning to be more cerebral with my play instead of chunking chips around when I catch something.

$30+$3 NL MTT on PP - 550 entrants - 60 paid

There are 76 left and the blinds are at 300/600. I have 5k chips (the average stack) and the leaders have close to 20k. Close to the money so table is tight, but aggressive. Blinds are being stolen on almost every hand with all-in bets (usually from the middle position). I've been playing very tight because I'm realistic and will be happy with my first money finish.

I'm 2 spots off the blinds (UTG +2, right?) when I catch my first big wired pair of the tourny (AA). UTG checks and I raise to 1200. Everyone folds around to me.

I'm looking for advice on how you would have played this. Should I have limped and tried to catch someone on a steal? Or was my raise the right play? I'm curious because at the time I was furious that I raised the pot so high. My thinking was that if I doubled up (or took a big pot) right there I could have been in position to make a run at winning the thing (funny how AA can change your mindset from wanting to finish in the money to wanting to be the last one at the table, huh?). Am I being too greedy?? There are some very smart players on here so I'm looking forward to what you have to say.