Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Emergency appendectomy = not fun

So how do you know when you need your appendix out anyway? Do you just get a localized pain that feels like a stomach cramp or something, wait a day then go to the dr's office? They throw an ultrasound on you and yell "Oh [censored], get to the hospital right now buddy, or you're gonna die!!!!!" ?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:31 PM

It feels like someone's been beating you with a baseball bat in your lower right abdomen, and it's pretty obvious to a doctor.

I've been there. Hope you feel better soon Nolan.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do you know when you need your appendix out anyway? Do you just get a localized pain that feels like a stomach cramp or something, wait a day then go to the dr's office? They throw an ultrasound on you and yell "Oh [censored], get to the hospital right now buddy, or you're gonna die!!!!!" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brassnuts gave a pretty good analogy with the baseball bat thing. For me, it started as basically what felt like a stomach cramp throughout my abdominal region. I tried to shake it off as maybe mild food poisoning, but as the day went on, the pain got worse and spread up to underneath my breastbone. It's hard to describe, it wasn't a pain like heartburn, but I felt like my stomach was burning basically.

When I finally got to the doctor and he started feeling around my abdomen, there were a couple of times that he pushed down on my appendix and I practically jumped off the examination table. They sent me to the hospital after that, and next thing I knew I was in surgery.

I don't know how to better explain it, except to say that I knew something was wrong, this wasn't pain from a stomach flu, heartburn, food poisoning, etc.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brassnuts gave a pretty good analogy with the baseball bat thing. For me, it started as basically what felt like a stomach cramp throughout my abdominal region. I tried to shake it off as maybe mild food poisoning, but as the day went on, the pain got worse and spread up to underneath my breastbone. It's hard to describe, it wasn't a pain like heartburn, but I felt like my stomach was burning basically.

When I finally got to the doctor and he started feeling around my abdomen, there were a couple of times that he pushed down on my appendix and I practically jumped off the examination table. They sent me to the hospital after that, and next thing I knew I was in surgery.

I don't know how to better explain it, except to say that I knew something was wrong, this wasn't pain from a stomach flu, heartburn, food poisoning, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah its wierd. My lung collapsed last year and I was like UHOH I dont know WTF that was but it was bad....
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Had a hernia operation my sophomore year in high school. I didn't even know I had it. They found it when taking my physical for football. Anyway, they basically go in to fix the hernia from the same area. I know exactly what you are going through and I agree, those muscles are taken for granted. The good news is it does heal fairly quickly. I was told I was not going to be able to play football for five weeks but was in there doing full contact (running back on the dummy squad for the starters to beat up on) after only three weeks.

Hang in there. It wont be long. Using crutches for a while might help take some pressure off.

*Edit - That was 18 years ago so I'm sure there are better procedures now then there were at that time. That might speed things up also.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Welcome back Scott. Enjoy some rest and feel better.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:16 PM

Welcome back, see ya on the tables soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Hey dude, I had mine removed Summer '03. It wasn't quite an emergency, but the day before, my stomahc hurt somethin awful. Glad to hear you're ok.

JBB
Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 PM

I had mine removed when I was 7 (30+ years ago). I don't remember much about it, but I still have my scar.

Hope you get well soon.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 PM

I almost had the operation done. I woke up at 5 am one morning with a really intense pain above my groin. I went to the doc and he said I had a very high white blood cell count, but not enough were the appendix usually burst. I had the option to go ahead and take it out or wait to see if it ever comes back. After two days it didnt hurt anymore.. and this was about 4 months ago.