Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Odd Small Stakes game structure, please help me beat it. (long)

I drop by one of the local cigar shops today and lo and behold, they're playing HE in the corner. Its a local home game where each person takes turns dealing. No rake, no tipping, etc.

I ask to join while puffing on a Padron 25th anniversary edition (niiiice). They play 8 handed (I was #8), with one Big Blind of $4. The betting is 4 before the flop, 4 on the flop AND turn, and 8 on the river. 3 raise max, unless HU.

They're a bunch of 40+ something's just killing time on a Friday afternoon, a nice bunch that laughs and jokes around with each other, never taking the game to seriously. And to a man, they're the WORST players I've ever seen.

8 handed, 4 minimum to the flop and a pf raise about every 1-1 and a half orbits.

I only played for 2 hours and lost $32. I probably played 6 or 7 hands total including my blind. They chase every gutshot, backdoor draw, low pair, etc., to the river. I can't remember how many times I saw K high or worse win a hand. I'd like some advice on how to play a odd game like this as I plan on playing every Friday from now on.

But I ramble...
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Odd Small Stakes game structure, please help me beat it. (long)

Generally passive postflop? I think you can afford to chase more weak draws on the turn than you normally would.

Rob
Old 03-25-2005, 09:04 PM

I agree with Entity if they're passive after the flop. Sounds like a good time to see a lot more rivers relatively cheaply.

edit: Was going to make a comment on stealing the blinds when I realized that situation would rarely come up 'cause they're so loose.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:07 PM

VERY passive postflop, when one of them raised, they had the goods everytime.